• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ownership of Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdurham81

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ky

I'm not even sure of this is the right board, sorry if its not.

Me and My girlfriend of 4 years split up, and aside from a nasty custody problem that is coming up. I am having a problem with transportation. We had two cars. One that she had when we started the relationship, which is hers and one that we bought after we had the baby, which we are co-owners on.

Now we have split up. I drive her car, she drives our car because it is bigger. She wants her car back, and she doesn't want me to have or be able to use the one we co-own. If I give her hers back, does she have to at least let me use ours so I can get to work? I'm not sure how this works or how I need to handle it.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ky

I'm not even sure of this is the right board, sorry if its not.

Me and My girlfriend of 4 years split up, and aside from a nasty custody problem that is coming up. I am having a problem with transportation. We had two cars. One that she had when we started the relationship, which is hers and one that we bought after we had the baby, which we are co-owners on.

Now we have split up. I drive her car, she drives our car because it is bigger. She wants her car back, and she doesn't want me to have or be able to use the one we co-own. If I give her hers back, does she have to at least let me use ours so I can get to work? I'm not sure how this works or how I need to handle it.
When you say that the two of you are "co-owners", exactly what does that mean? Are both of your names listed on the vehicle registration with equal title?

If you both have equal ownership rights of the vehicle per the registration title, then she cannot keep you from using the vehicle as you choose. You also have no right to tell her SHE can't use it, either. She has just as much right as you do.

Give her the car back that SHE owns. You have no rights to hold onto it. Have another set of keys made to the vehicle that you co-own (if you co-own it).

To resolve this issue once and for all, perhaps one or the other of you can just buy out the other's interest in the co-owned vehicle and have the title signed over once and for all. Or learn to deal with each other until such time as the car is no longer an issue.

The car title is the controlling doc. It should be clear from these documents who owns what. The registration should match the titles but not always ... the title is all that is needed to be investigated.

Titles in her name? Those are her cars.

OHRoadwarrior

If you have keys to the other car, I would go pick it up. After it is in your possession, change the locks so she cannot easily grab it back. Give her, her car back. Buy out her interest in it. Again as mentioned the title is the controlling document.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">