• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid Execution Garnishee to City Marshall March 1996

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DarlaS

What is the name of your state? New York
I thought had Satisfied a Judgement by paying an Execution Garnishee to the City Marshall back in March 1996. I just received notice that an Assignee of Judgement Creditor has put a restraining notice on my checking account.
I have my cancilled check to the City Marshal and the City Marshal also has his cancilled check written out to the original plaintiffs.
The plaintiffs said they were never paid when they signed over the Judgement to the Garnishee last month.
I read CPLR 5222 (b) and it appears to state that the Marshal (Sheriff) can send notice to my bank indicating that this was Satisfied 9 years ago. Is this correct or do I need to get a Motion to Vacate Judgement and a Stop Order from a Judge?

JETX

DarlaS said:
I thought had Satisfied a Judgement by paying an Execution Garnishee to the City Marshall back in March 1996.
Was this payment for the FULL amount of the judgment plus accrued interest, fees, etc.??
If so, you should have gotten a 'Satisfaction of Judgment' signed by the judgment creditor.... or asked the court to issue one based on your payment.

I just received notice that an Assignee of Judgement Creditor has put a restraining notice on my checking account.
I have my cancilled check to the City Marshal and the City Marshal also has his cancilled check written out to the original plaintiffs.
Then contact the current judgment owner (the assignee) and give him a copy of the checks. I am sure he/she has no knowledge of the payment.

The plaintiffs said they were never paid when they signed over the Judgement to the Garnishee last month.
HUH?? Do you mean 'Assignee'??

S

seniorjudge

JETX said:
Was this payment for the FULL amount of the judgment plus accrued interest, fees, etc.??
If so, you should have gotten a 'Satisfaction of Judgment' signed by the judgment creditor.... or asked the court to issue one based on your payment.

Then contact the current judgment owner (the assignee) and give him a copy of the checks. I am sure he/she has no knowledge of the payment.

HUH?? Do you mean 'Assignee'??
I agree and would like OP to tell us if there was just ONE garnishment? And was the garnishment on his paycheck?

Unless it was for a very small amount or unless the garnishment lasted a very long time, just one garnishment may not have been enough to satisfy the judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">