• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid in Full Error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nvbb76

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me here.
We recently bought some furniture and paid half when we bought it. A few days before the scheduled delivery we paid the remainder of the bill. Got a receipt saying we paid in full and we had the furniture delivered. One piece was missing due to a manufacturer delay. So, we agreed for a later delivery. When they call me to tell me they are going to deliver it the guy tells me we owe 500.00. I was shocked. So I called the store and asked to speak to a manager, before I could even say too much he informed us that he would have their lawyer call us because there was an error on the receipt (the salesman added wrong) and we are responsible to pay for it and basically said he wouldn't help me with anything more and hung up.
So I get the receipt and add it up and sure enough there was an error. So I called and spoke to the floor manager and asked him what was going on and he said there was a note saying they were going to notify us but they never did. I told him about the poor customer service etc and being threatened and he tells me....well you owe us 500.00 and you won't get the furniture until then, if you expect to get some money off you can forget it.
If it was their error and I have a recepit that says Paid in Full for the order (I even went to the store to pay it and no one told me about owing 500.00) am I responsible for the amount?

Thanks
nvbb76

racer72

am I responsible for the amount?
Yes you are. If the error went the other way you would want it corrected. $500 is a pretty big error, are you saying you did not notice this or did you think you got lucky?

nvbb76

No, thank you...I didn't think I got lucky!
My husband actually bought the furniture as a surprise for me, after I told him how much I wanted it. He came home and hid the receipt and didn't even think to check it. When I called about the other delivery that was when I was told about the error. I never said he shouldn't have done his own math.
For me I guess it was as much not being informed and the downright rude and ignorant way I was treated.

Thanks for your response and your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">