• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paralegals want to charge me for incomplete work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

khangly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I've scheduled an appointment to talk to a lawyer at this firm. However, when I get there the attorney assistant sat down with me in the room to assist me with legal rights instead. I told her that I need a lawyer reference legal documents to witness that my parents have agreed to give me full custody of my siblings to enroll them to school district where I live. She told me to draft that legal document will cost $500, later on that day she email me changed it to $750. I have no choice but to go with the price because I have to turn the paper to school board. When she give me the legal document, the document look like some template that just filled out name and paper of the document has been reused with all other her previous clients information on the back of the document she gave me. I emailed her that I need a lawyer reference legal document not some random template document filled in names. I also told her I need document proof is drafted by the firm. She refused to do it because she said it's can not be done. I specifically asked her about this when I first met her in the office, she took the job but refused to do what I've requested and she want me to pay for her work. I found out that she is just a paralegal and has no right to give legal advice or consult clients about legal rights. In her email she represent herself as a lawyer that customer like me doesn't know about law and the document she drafted need to be paid. I've told her that she need to add reference to her document something like letter head or to whom may concern letter, but she refused to do it and want me to pay her. Now the lawyer who she work for stepped in and said the document was corrected by him and demanded me to pay $500 or face legal actions. Now I don't know whether I should pay or not. They take the job but refused to make it right on what I originally requested. Now the lawyer emailed me with threat letter and his assistant harass me calling me scam artist and a thief. I'm a customer, I should have the right to demand my request to get it done before I pay don't I? I really need help! Is there anyone can give me on advice about this case?

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I've schedule an appointment to talk to a lawyer at this firm. However, when I get there the attorney assistant sat down with me in the room to assist me with legal rights instead. I told her that I need a lawyer reference legal documents to witness that my parents agreed to give me full custody of my younger brother and sister to enroll them to school district where I live. She told me to draft that legal document will cost $500, later on that day email me changed it to $750. I have no choice but to go with the price because I have to turn the paper to school board. When she give me the legal document, the document look like some template that just fill out name and paper of the document has been reused with all other her previous clients information on the back of the document she give me. I emailed her that I need a lawyer reference legal document not some random document template that she filling in name. I request her to have letter head to proof that the legal document is draft by which lawyer for reference. She refused to do it because she said it's can not be done and no one put letter head on legal document. I specifically asked he about this when I first met her in the office, she took the job and now refused to do what I've requested and now she want me to pay for her work. I found out that she is just a paralegals and has no right to give legal advice or consult clients about legal rights. In her email she represent herself as a lawyer that customer like me doesn't know about law and the document she drafted need to be paid. I've told her that she need to add reference to her document something like letter head or to whom may concern letter, but she refused to do it and want me to pay her. Now her lawyer stepped in and said the document is corrected by him and demand me to pay $500. Now I don't know should I pay or not. They take the job but refused to make it right on what I originally request. Now the lawyer emailed me with threat letter and his assistant harass me calling me scam artist and a thief. I'm a customer, I should have the right to demand my request to get it done before I pay don't I? I really need help! Is there anyone can give me on advice about this case?
Pay what you owe these people. :cool:

BL

A lawyer corrected it , pay if you want what you want.

There are lawyers grievance committees ,but this was a paralegal.

Even they have a right to be Pd. Quit trying to go on the cheap.

swalsh411

While a paralegal may not be allowed to sit down with a client and give them legal advice, they are absolutely allowed to complete forms to forward to an attorney for final review. (which in most cases will be little more than a once-over). What exactly do you think paralegals do? Make copies and get coffee?

You sound like either a cheap S.O.B. or somebody who doesn't understand what happens in a law office.

khangly

A lawyer corrected it , pay if you want what you want.

There are lawyers grievance committees ,but this was a paralegal.

Even they have a right to be Pd. Quit trying to go on the cheap.
I'm not being cheap here! I've ask them that I need a lawyer reference document. A document that have a letter head or to whom may concern to proof that is drafted by a law firm. They just give me the document without anything that proof is coming from the firm. If I need a legal document, I can just use Rocketlawyer.com to draft it myself. I've specially request that I need a document with letter head or to whom may concern from a firm. They just give me the document only and the document has their firm other clients information on the back of my document. It looks like they reused the paper to print my document and gave it to me then tell me to go to any place to get it notary. I mean come on! What kind of legal work is this? I mean how can I pay them with this kind of work?

I'mTheFather

If the school board requires that you obtain custody of your siblings, then no document with a letterhead will be sufficient. Further, the notarized document has a little more weight than a letterhead in showing that your parents agree. However, it still doesn't confer custody.

Does the school district require that you have legal custody?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In addition to what I'm The Father stated, file a grievance with the Bar Association regarding the paralegal and her representation that she was an attorney. That act is considered UPL. The Bar can step in on that.

khangly

problem is solved!

Anyway I've finally solved the problem and paid $750 instead $500. Gave them $250 tip to show that I'm not being cheap here! They finally correct the document and add firm stamp at the end of the document to show it's prepared by the firm. Thanks all for your feedback! :) They also decided to donate the money I paid to charity! So it's great relieved!

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Anyway I've finally solved the problem and paid $750 instead $500. Gave them $250 tip to show that I'm not being cheap here! They finally correct the document and add firm stamp at the end of the document to show it's prepared by the firm. Thanks all for your feedback! :) They also decided to donate the money I paid to charity! So it's great relief!
How did that solve anything? The paralegal according to you was engaging in UPL. Paperwork prepared by them does NOT give you custody automatically. Only a court can grant you custody. I could go on. So why exactly are you relieved?

BL

And what are you going to do when the school refuses that statement ?

I told her that I need a lawyer reference legal documents to witness that my parents agreed to give me full custody of my younger brother and sister to enroll them to school district where I live.

khangly

How did that solve anything? The paralegal according to you was engaging in UPL. Paperwork prepared by them does NOT give you custody automatically. Only a court can grant you custody. I could go on. So why exactly are you relieved?
I found out a bit late on it! I thought if you have a legal document from lawyer for custody is good enough for me to enroll my siblings to school. Like I said, I scheduled appointment to talk to a lawyer for advice on what I should do but paralegal assisted me instead. At first it's kind of my fault as well for asking her to draft a legal document for custody. Maybe If I actually talk to the licensed lawyer in the first place he will probably tell me it can't be done through legal document and must be a court order. I'm relieved because first three feedback on here make me feel guilty for not paying, so I've decided to pay them for their work is when they decided not to take mine money. We came to a solution that we agreed to use the money that I paid donate it to charity for good cause. I know I will have to pay more money to get court order in order to enroll my siblings to school district where I live but is OK. It's a lesson and learn for me and I'm glad I found this site! My English grammar is horrible! Hope I didn't confused everyone on here :-(! Thanks all for your help!

Last edited:

ecmst12

It's actually not, you need a document signed off on by a JUDGE in order for you to actually have legal custody. But go ahead and keep thinking whatever you want. Hopefully your siblings won't be harmed too much when they get kicked out of school because you did not have the authority to enroll them there.

khangly

at this point! I know I need Court order document in order to enroll my siblings to school district where i live. The current school district that my siblings are currently attend right now has too many bully with too much distraction for education and their school district couldn't do much about it. That's the reason why I want my siblings to change school for their better future.

Last edited:

Silverplum

at this point! I know I need Court order document in order to enroll my siblings to school district where i live. The current school district that my siblings are currently attend right now has too many bully and their school district couldn't do much about it. That's the reason why I want my siblings to change school for their better future.
For a document to be a court order, it must be signed by a judge. I'd advise you to go to a family law attorney and see if your parents can sign over guardianship or whatever your school district requires. The paperwork has to get to court and be signed by a judge -- if your parents are in full agreement, it shouldn't be a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">