• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents Withholding 2k

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adhezivek

Im in MN if that makes any difference. So summer of 2011 I made approx $1300, which i agreed (as a minor) to put aside with $750 of my own cash for college. I did this because i was told i would be able to have a car for myself. I had that car for about a year. With recent issues, i am being kicked out/ i am moving out. I am now a legal adult, and want my money which my parents insist will only be for college. I need it to support myself, is it at all possible that i can get this money back?

LdiJ

Im in MN if that makes any difference. So summer of 2011 I made approx $1300, which i agreed (as a minor) to put aside with $750 of my own cash for college. I did this because i was told i would be able to have a car for myself. I had that car for about a year. With recent issues, i am being kicked out/ i am moving out. I am now a legal adult, and want my money which my parents insist will only be for college. I need it to support myself, is it at all possible that i can get this money back?
What account is the money in and in whose name is that account?

OHRoadwarrior

You gave them the money, with the understanding they would apply it toward your college. The key words here are "gave" and "college". Meet those conditions and you MIGHT have a small claims argument, even though you were a minor.

Antigone*

If you need money, get a job. Your parents are under no legal obligation to give you that money.

adhezivek

I don't understand why I would not be able to obtain my own money that I earned, all the checks were to me, just because I didn't have a bank account and wantd a car should not give them ownership of my money? why do they get a say on what I spend my own money on when I'm an adult? I do not want it in their account anymore and do not trust they won't touch it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They used your money (as a minor) to set up a trust for college expenses. Go to college and ask for the money to pay expenses.

BL

They used your money (as a minor) to set up a trust for college expenses. Go to college and ask for the money to pay expenses.
Wow,your parents got a car for you and now you are griping.

How much is the car worth in the condition it's in ?

If equal or more of the amount you earned ,offer to sign the title over as a gift for the money ,then take busses ,walk,or get rides with freinds.

adhezivek

I don't think any of you understand. the car has never been in my name, and they are kicking me out. I want my ****ing money which is MINE and in THEIR bank account.

OHRoadwarrior

I don't think any of you understand. the car has never been in my name, and they are kicking me out. I want my ****ing money which is MINE and in THEIR bank account.
We understand perfectly. Unfortunately, you do not understand you are not entitled to it. Call it what you want. Car rental fee, prepaid college expense, whatever, it is not yours now. Throwing your hissy fit here, will get you thrown off of here also. Think of it like home, but online.

Last edited:

Proserpina

I don't think you understand.

I see no recourse here. You might want to save your tantrum for a different forum, too.

BL

Sorry ,as a minor your parents had and still have control of "the" money.

Like my father once told me "learn to stand up on your own two feet".

adhezivek

what distinguishes whose money it is? youre telling me that if you allowed a friend to put your money into a bank account say to save up for a car because you had no bank account, that they now would be able to tell you "no this isn't your money unless you are buying a car with it?"

I'mTheFather

No one actually said that, but if you give money to a friend, they put it in their bank account, and you have no written agreement regarding the money, then yes, your friend could legally say that.

As a minor, your parents were entitled to make decisions regarding the money you earned.

BL

No one actually said that, but if you give money to a friend, they put it in their bank account, and you have no written agreement regarding the money, then yes, your friend could legally say that.

As a minor, your parents were entitled to make decisions regarding the money you earned.
Well,that's another ball game .If the friend actually admits the amount is the Friend's , it doesn't matter what it was put in the bank for .

In the poster's case , it's been repeatedly said what is legal for the parents to do with their minor's money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">