• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents witholding personal documents - Is this a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annofleschi

What is the name of your state? Washington

Well basically, my sisters and I were kicked out of our parents' house on not-so-pleasant terms, and we had to go and find an apartment. Our relationship has gotten better with the distance, but there are still a few issues that still need to be resolved, this being one of them.

Basically, my parents currently have various personal documents that belong to my sisters and me. These documents include birth certificates, social security cards, savings bonds, etc. that technically belong to us and are really important to have in our possession for various reasons.

We have requested these documents from our parents on several occasions, and they have refused each time. Recently, my mother is trying to negotiate with me in which she would only give me some documents in exchange for assistance in her own legal matters, which I don't want to get involved with. I feel that since the documents are MINE, I have every right to retrieve them from my parents, and am under no obligation to offer anything in return.

Is this even a case? Personally, I would like to avoid actually going to trial, and have looked into arbitration/mediation, though I'm not too sure if those options are viable. And I have really no idea how to get this all started if I do need to file a claim in some way.

Help please?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
copies of your birth certificate can be purchased from the Bureau of Vital Statistics in the county where you were born. The social security card can be replaced by contacting Social Security. The savings bonds if in your name can be gotten by suing your parents however do you really want to do that? How much are they worth?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just request new documents - the SS card is easy. As for the birth certificate - I think that belongs to your parents anyway ;)

Some Random Guy

For the savings bonds, check out the US Treasury site

You may be able to get the bonds reissued - All modern savings bonds should be linked with your social security number (the gov't realizes that lots of things get lost in 30 years).

You may want to do some snooping with your parents first - see if they will at least tell you how many bonds you have and what their face value is. It makes filling out the forms easier.

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ebonds/res_e_bonds_eereplace.htm
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/forms/sav1048.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">