• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking enforcement blows - $65

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AngryChuck

Washington State

So I park in the parking lot in between a 7-11 and a jack in the box on 50th and the Ave (u-district, Seattle), and I see a sign directly in front of me on the 7-11 building saying "customer parking only". Fine with me, I'm going into the 7-11. I come back out to this guy writing me some parking ticket. I say, "What's this? I'm a customer." He points out a sign a few spots over on a light poll saying that parking is for Jack in the Box customers only. The fine is a tad steep, and I'm pissed. Any suggestions? I tried to call and dispute it right away and the guy just laughed and said "Well I deny your claim, just pay it."

Any advice? It was not clearly marked as Jack in the box parking only. The sign in front of me had no mention of Jack in the Box.

I

itsacatsworld

Take a few pics of the situation and dispute it in traffic court.

racer72

itsacatsworld said:
Take a few pics of the situation and dispute it in traffic court.
If you are not aware of Washington state law, please do not answer posts. Your reply is showing your ignorance. The ticket is from a private parking enforcement outfit, Seattle police or parking enforcement have no jurisdiction over private parking lots except for handicap parking violators. And even if the parking ticket was from a law enforcement officer, traffic court does not deal with them, it is handled at an administrative level.

To the OP, you have two options. Ignore the ticket and you will be sued, besides the ticket you will also have to deal with attorney fees. The case would be heard in a district court, not a small claim court. The odds of you winning is about zero.

Or you can pay the fine then sue the company in small claims court. The company will hire a lawyer and will successfully have the case moved to district court. Your chance of winning again drops to about zero.

I think you should consider yourself lucky, up till a few months ago, your car would have been booted and it would have cost $125 to have the boot removed. Seattle banned booting due to the problems with predatory parking enforcement. If I was you, I would pay the fine and move along, it will cost you a whole lot more in the long run to try to fight it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">