• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payback

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ljg325

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My X-fiance and I had a fight and I wanted him out of the house in 2002. He made me write a note that I would pay him back money that he gave towards living at my house. I did the note just to get him out and I wrote it sarcasticly. Out of the blue now in 2008, he's taking me to small claims court. Is this stupid note a legal document?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My X-fiance and I had a fight and I wanted him out of the house in 2002. He made me write a note that I would pay him back money that he gave towards living at my house. I did the note just to get him out and I wrote it sarcasticly. Out of the blue now in 2008, he's taking me to small claims court. Is this stupid note a legal document?
I think a better question would be: Is this legal document a stupid note?

Since I can't see the note and you haven't really described it, I'll have to assume that whatever you wrote meets the proper legal requirements of a negotiable instrument (if not then that provides you with another defense).

You could defend yourself by claiming that you received nothing in exchange for the note. Your X-fiance may counter-argue that you did receive something: He voluntarily left your house.

ljg325

Since I can't see the note and you haven't really described it, I'll have to assume that whatever you wrote meets the proper legal requirements of a negotiable instrument (if not then that provides you with another defense).

You could defend yourself by claiming that you received nothing in exchange for the note. Your X-fiance may counter-argue that you did receive something: He voluntarily left your house.
Thanx for the reply!
This X put me through a lot and I wrote the note in fear, I did whatever I had to get him away from me at the time.
This note was stupid and I honestly didn't write it any degree of being serious.
It was the only way to reason with the drunk he was that day.
After I called off the engagement, we got a long great as he tried to get his life right.
I think he's now gone off the deep end again, as I got the demanding phone call from what sounded to be an unreasonale argumentative drunk.

Last edited:
Thanx for the reply!
This X put me through a lot and I wrote the note in fear, I did whatever I had to get him away from me at the time.
This note was stupid and I honestly didn't write it any degree of being serious.
It was the only way to reason with the drunk he was that day.
After I called off the engagement, we got a long great as he tried to get his life right.
I think he's now gone off the deep end again, as I got the demanding phone call from what sounded to be an unreasonale argumentative drunk.
Duress is another defense to the enforcement of a note.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">