• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying back a loan from friends

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joyous7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

My husband and I borrowed $9000.00 from some friends to pay off a note for our property. We ended up losing the property anyway, and since then my husband and I have divorced. I wanted to be sure that our friends got paid back, even though my ex-husband was not willing to pay for any of it....so, I made payments of $500.00 per month for 20 months and paid back a total of $10,000. I knew that there would still be some money owed for interest due since they had used a credit card for the money. After the $10,000 had been paid, my "friends" contacted me to tell me that I still owed them $9359.00. The problem that I have here is that is much more than I had anticipated and I have not been able to find an amaturization (spelling?) chart anywhere that will come up with those figures. I want to pay back what is owed, but this seems a little out there....I feel like I could have done better with a loan shark.

Anyway, now I am getting constant harassment at home and work (I work in a hospital and not the place for them to be calling) to the point that I don't answer the phones anymore. I have been working on trying to figure out what the fair pay back should be.....am awaiting input from an accountant that I know too. I want to know how to approach these people...and it will definitely be in writing. Once I have a firm grasp of what I think is a fair pay back, I am thinking that I will write a contract on what the remainder to be paid is, what the terms are for paying it back and that they have to sign it and notarize it and return back to me before I pay another penny. Again, I want to pay what is justly due....but, I don't want to have them keep putting up the amount unjustifiably. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">