• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying a debt to a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

basstech

What is the name of your state? I live in Washington State.
This is a long story, will try to keep it short. First, my ex and I had borrowed money from her daughter, my step-daughter, about 3 or 4 yrs ago. We are now divorced, and I pay my step daughter $50 a month until I pay the debt off. My ex pays too. I have been giving my ex checks for this, until now, when I found out the money was not going into an account with my step-daughters name on it, it is going to an account with my ex's father's name on it. That is unacceptable. So, I told my ex I wanted to start an account for my stepdaughter, and she won't let me do it, because then the daughter will know we borrowed the money, and she doesn't want her to know. So, since I refuse to give her checks directly to her, she wants to take me to court. I want to know one thing: If I write checks directly to my 13 yr old stepdaughter, will she have to sign them, or is there some way for the mother to deposit the checks without the daughter knowing? The point is, I want my stepdaughter to know she is getting the money, and I want it going directly to her, because she is the one I owe, not the ex wife. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thank You.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">