• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying Off A Debt To Ex.....HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cujo4mvp

I am from the state of Ohio first off. I had a close friend of whom was a big help to me. She and I lived near one another and things turned into a romantic type thing. We dated for a long time, over 3 years, and then I broke it off with her back in January. During this time I had finanacial problems off and on. I never asked for help cause I could have always turned to my parents, but this girl kept writing me checks to help me pay off bills etc. While we dated I did what a irresponsible person would do and maxed out her CC. I have agreed in writing to help her pay that off and I have been giving her $100 a month till its paid off.

In the meantime, she is upset cause I am seeing another girl now. She is threatening me with court stuff this and that about taking me to court and suing me for the other money she says I owe her. Nowhere did I agree to pay her back ( I know that sounds shady, but I never asked for help when having financial crisis over those 3 years off and on). She gave me over $2500 in those 3 years she claims and that very well could be, but seeing as she gave these amounts over 3 years off and on without me ever giving her a dime back (not something I was proud of either). What would a judge or attorney do in this case? She kept giving money here and there and she just kept doing so. She gave money for car loan payments, rent, general things**************.she kept buying gift after gift without me asking and with me DEMANDING not to buy me anything**************..someone just PLEASE give some help and advice on what I should do. And this again was not an agreement where I agreed to pay her back, otherwise why would she keep giving more and more money????

Again, I am not disputing I owe her for the CC and I have begin paying her off at $100 a month.

Happy Trails

cujo4mvp said:
I am from the state of Ohio first off. I had a close friend of whom was a big help to me. She and I lived near one another and things turned into a romantic type thing. We dated for a long time, over 3 years, and then I broke it off with her back in January. During this time I had finanacial problems off and on. I never asked for help cause I could have always turned to my parents, but this girl kept writing me checks to help me pay off bills etc. While we dated I did what a irresponsible person would do and maxed out her CC. I have agreed in writing to help her pay that off and I have been giving her $100 a month till its paid off.

In the meantime, she is upset cause I am seeing another girl now. She is threatening me with court stuff this and that about taking me to court and suing me for the other money she says I owe her. Nowhere did I agree to pay her back ( I know that sounds shady, but I never asked for help when having financial crisis over those 3 years off and on). She gave me over $2500 in those 3 years she claims and that very well could be, but seeing as she gave these amounts over 3 years off and on without me ever giving her a dime back (not something I was proud of either). What would a judge or attorney do in this case? She kept giving money here and there and she just kept doing so. She gave money for car loan payments, rent, general things**************.she kept buying gift after gift without me asking and with me DEMANDING not to buy me anything**************..someone just PLEASE give some help and advice on what I should do. And this again was not an agreement where I agreed to pay her back, otherwise why would she keep giving more and more money????

Again, I am not disputing I owe her for the CC and I have begin paying her off at $100 a month.
What would a judge or attorney do in this case?
She has a very weak case when it comes to the money that you describe as "gifts". The judge most likely would look at it as they were gifts and the is only reason she is trying to collect now is because you two have broken up.

cujo4mvp

Gifts

The only problem is, she has checks that she wrote to me so I could cash them and pay off bills. Again, I never said I would pay that back because if I did she never would have lent me another cent.

ceara19

cujo4mvp said:
The only problem is, she has checks that she wrote to me so I could cash them and pay off bills. Again, I never said I would pay that back because if I did she never would have lent me another cent.
There's your answer.
lent: VERB: Past tense and past participle of lend.

lend: Inflected Form(s): lent **lent/; lend·ing
Etymology: Middle English lenen, lenden, from Old English l[AE]nan, from l[AE]n loan -- more at LOAN
transitive verb
1 a (1) : to give for temporary use on condition that the same or its equivalent be returned <lend me your pen> (2) : to put at another's temporary disposal <lent us their services> b : to let out (money) for temporary use on condition of repayment with interest

Pay her back the money!:rolleyes:

Happy Trails

ceara19 said:
There's your answer.
lent: VERB: Past tense and past participle of lend.

lend: Inflected Form(s): lent **lent/; lend·ing
Etymology: Middle English lenen, lenden, from Old English l[AE]nan, from l[AE]n loan -- more at LOAN
transitive verb
1 a (1) : to give for temporary use on condition that the same or its equivalent be returned <lend me your pen> (2) : to put at another's temporary disposal <lent us their services> b : to let out (money) for temporary use on condition of repayment with interest

Pay her back the money!:rolleyes:
So which is it?

She gave you the money with no expectation of you paying her back (gift) or she lent you the money (loan)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">