• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payment of Utilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janbrady03

What is the name of your state? California

I recently moved out of an apartment I shared with one other person. I contacted my landlord to let her know the date I was moving and have squared the payment of my final rent with her.

I am not planning to continue to split the utilities and DSL bill with my former roommate. My question is, can she pursue any legal action against me for this? All of the bills are in her name and we never had any kind of written or oral contract for how the bills would be split. In total, she claims I owe her a little over $100.

racer72

If you former roommate can show you benefitted from the use of the utilities and had a history of assisting in paying for them, she would likely win her case in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">