• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Perjury Penalties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rollingdude

In California -

In a sm claims matter, I am the plaintiff. The defendant did not appear and judgment was made for $4000. Now the def has filed a motion to vacate judgment and a hearing date has been set.
In the motion, the def (a corporate officer) used two lies to explain why the motion is requested.

I have verifiable proof of the perjury.

Question: What penalties or sanctions can I ask of the court for two counts of perjury?

JETX

In the motion, the def (a corporate officer) used two lies to explain why the motion is requested.

I have verifiable proof of the perjury.

Question: What penalties or sanctions can I ask of the court for two counts of perjury?
Depending on the specifics of the 'motion' most are NOT made under oath and would, in themselves, NOT be perjury.

Point out their 'errors' in your response or hope you can get them in court and to make those claims under oath... then play your 'proof' card.

rollingdude

Under Penalty

Thanks for the reply.
Just to clear things up, the motion was filed with the court by defendant, and signed by same "under penalty of perjury"

-:p

JETX

Just to clear things up, the motion was filed with the court by defendant, and signed by same "under penalty of perjury"
A few courts include that in their complaints, but most don't. Yours does.

However, that really doesn't change my answer:
"Point out their 'errors' in your response or hope you can get them in court and to make those claims under oath... then play your 'proof' card."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">