• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Perjury in Small Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

workingguy23

Illinois

On my 3rd day at my new job I was asked to go to small claims and be my boss court to evict one of our tenants. I was told not to say I was him. If I wasn't asked, then no problems. Also, I was assured that the tenant would not appear. When I got there, the tenant was there and when the case was called I went up and presented our side. During which I was asked who I was. I was so nervous, that I mumbled that I was representing my boss (I won't use his name here). Then when I was asked who the person who the tenant had contact was with, i told them it was the office manager. The paper work for the original motion to have the tenant evicted was filed wrong and the judge yelled at me for it and denied the motion. After, I was told by my boss to refile the motion, which I did. I told him everything that happened in court, he was a little upset, but told me not to worry. That when has has to go back to court, for the new motion, when he explains what happened to the judge, she will throw the case out and nobody will get in trouble.
Please let me know what you think. I do not want to got to jail.

seniorjudge

I doubt that anything will happen.

Small claims courts are run pretty fast and loose.

Besides that, you were never under oath, were you?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your post doesn't indicate perjury at all - you told the truth when asked about who you were. As an employee of a company, you are allowed to represent the company.

My question, though, is...why are you going to Small Claims Court for an eviction proceeding?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My answer stays the same. If a company is trying to evict her, and you went as a rep. of the company there is no problem.

workingguy23

The Illinois perjury state states that:

(a) A person commits perjury when, under oath or affirmation, in a proceeding or in any other matter where by law such oath or affirmation is required, he makes a false statement, material to the issue or point in questions, whether he does not believe to be true.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">