• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Person reneges on deal from Craig's List

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ELIRYAN

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Is there any case for a person who located an animal (puppy) on Craig's List; had the puppy promised to them, but was later told that the people raising the puppy had decided to keep it after all?

Even after they had gone back and forth about the adoption and promised the puppy to them?

In this case, the puppy is a mutt (not pure bred, etc.); there's been nothing signed (contract), except for the email agreements back and forth.

Do I have any case against the people who promised me the puppy, or do I need to let sleeping dogs lie?

ELIRYAN

No money lost

I didn't lose any money.

The puppy was actually advertised by Person A, and then Person B (who was also adopting one of the litter and the mother) took over for Person A when they went on vacation for two weeks because Person B would end up with two of the family members.

Person B sent emails back and forth with me, letting me know how the puppy was doing, sending pictures and basically keeping me up to date about when I'd get the puppy.

Then shortly before I was suppose to get the puppy, Person B told me they were going to keep the puppy because their family had decided they wanted it. They said they had taken it in for shots, had housed it, had possession of it, and would not let it go.

This just doesn't seem right! I mean, I had an agreement with Person A that I was the adopter of this animal. And Person B seemed to be upholding that agreement. My children were REALLY counting on getting this puppy. We had many pictures sent to us of the puppy and we were really excited. We never got to visit the puppy because of travel problems, but still... this seems crazy.

I want to get a lawyer and sue person B. OR take them to small claims court. Isn't this some sort of a mental tort? (I'm not sure what that means.) This seems really wrong! So, although I haven't lost any money, I have emails that say I was supposed to be the adopter. Isn't that a contract? Shouldn't that be honored? My children are heartbroken. I don't care if Person B fell in love with the puppy. He was ours!! Person B should be punished, right?

Thanks for reading!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">