• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

person stop payment on check given to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

morningstar61

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
This is my problem. A lady wanted to buy my conure, she sent a $200 check that cleared then a week or two later she came to pick him up and gave me a check for remaining $200. This was on tuesday nov 29th. Then on the 30th she stopped payment on the check. she lives about 10 hours away in south dakota. I never received any emails or calls. I had cashed the check and paid for things with it, then come friday december 2nd I turn on my cell to find a message saying the bird is mean and not what i said that it bite and she stopped payment. This bird has never bitten, my 2 and 3 year old grandkids hold it, I take it all over town on my shoulder and many people have handled it. This lady knows I don't use my cell and never called my house number that she does have, she doesn't answer my calls. I had this bird vet checked on Oct 13th and the techs and vet loved him. Now she did a stop check and they took money out of my account which is going to cause me to be short. what do I do? thank you

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
This is my problem. A lady wanted to buy my conure, she sent a $200 check that cleared then a week or two later she came to pick him up and gave me a check for remaining $200. This was on tuesday nov 29th. Then on the 30th she stopped payment on the check. she lives about 10 hours away in south dakota. I never received any emails or calls. I had cashed the check and paid for things with it, then come friday december 2nd I turn on my cell to find a message saying the bird is mean and not what i said that it bite and she stopped payment. This bird has never bitten, my 2 and 3 year old grandkids hold it, I take it all over town on my shoulder and many people have handled it. This lady knows I don't use my cell and never called my house number that she does have, she doesn't answer my calls. I had this bird vet checked on Oct 13th and the techs and vet loved him. Now she did a stop check and they took money out of my account which is going to cause me to be short. what do I do? thank you
Write a letter to her demanding that she pay the balance for the bird, or you will file a police report for theft (since I'm assuming she kept the bird). Then, if she refuses to make good on the check, call the police and file a complaint for theft and the bad check.

Additional civil penalties she might face for the bad check:
Amount due, $100 penalty, interest (at judgment rate), reasonable attorneys' fees if amount of check over $1,250, $15 service charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">