• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Debt COllection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

averza

What is the name of your state? Maryland

It's been awhile but looking threw some old documents, I found an old fully executed agreement of debt from May 1996 drafted by the debtee's attorney. The agreement was to pay me in the amount of $9,000 for a personal loan but only one payment was made for about $500. Is this debt (if this person could be found) still collectable under statute of limitations? If so, do collection agencies pursue this?

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

averza said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

It's been awhile but looking threw some old documents, I found an old fully executed agreement of debt from May 1996 drafted by the debtee's attorney. The agreement was to pay me in the amount of $9,000 for a personal loan but only one payment was made for about $500. Is this debt (if this person could be found) still collectable under statute of limitations? If so, do collection agencies pursue this?

Thanks

My response:

How is it possible that you could forget about a $9,000.00 debt owed to you?

Suffice it to say, your right to collect is more than likely barred by the applicable Statute of Limitation in Maryland. If this was simply a written contract, the SOL expired 3 years after that payment. If it was a contract that included a promissory note, it expired 6 years from the date of that payment.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">