• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xzq1z2

I loaned a friend $900 18 months ago without stipulating any repayment schedule or interest charges. I have now asked that he repay the $900 loan . He refused. The only documentation I have is a copy, front and back, of a cancelled check with "Personal Loan" written in the memo line. Do I have legal recourse in small claims court? Dan in Ohio

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I loaned a friend $900 18 months ago without stipulating any repayment schedule or interest charges. I have now asked that he repay the $900 loan . He refused. The only documentation I have is a copy, front and back, of a cancelled check with "Personal Loan" written in the memo line. Do I have legal recourse in small claims court? Dan in Ohio
Yes, you can sue in small claims court.

sandyclaus

If there was any question about whether or not the loan was to be repaid, the notation on the check removes the doubt, and by negotiating the check, the friend agreed that it was a loan. As long as that notation appears on the check copy, and it can be verified, then yes. You can seek reimbursement in the form of a judgment through the Small Claims courts.

Keep in mind that the court can only award you a judgment. That doesn't mean that the friend is going to pay any more quickly. You will still be responsible for collecting the amount of the judgment.

You Are Guilty

It's Small Claims - anything can happen. However, merely writing "personal loan" in the memo line of a check does not automatically make it a personal loan if it's cashed. (Heck, I sent a friend a check as a birthday gift and wrote "Sex Change Fund" in the memo line. Doesn't mean it's true).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">