• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SirTwist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I do not have a contract with this person, but I do have Western Union receipts for every transaction. This person incurred, with the fees from Western Union, $3,271. Do I have a case, or not?

swalsh411

So you have nothing to show that this was a loan in the first place let alone the repayment terms? Your chance of success is slim to none and slim just left the building.

SirTwist

I have some text messages. I know, I should do it in writing. That teaches me. If she pays me back, I'll consider the message learned, and not to let anyone borrow over $100 at any one time. Unless they give me personal information, something semi-valuable, and put it all in writing.

swalsh411

I have some text messages. I know, I should do it in writing. That teaches me. If she pays me back, I'll consider the message learned, and not to let anyone borrow over $100 at any one time. Unless they give me personal information, something semi-valuable, and put it all in writing.
Text messages alone are likely not enough since they can be very easily spoofed.

Would this person purjure himself in Court and claim it was a gift?

Then your other problem will be collecting of course.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You loaned over $3 grand to somebody and don't even have "personal information" about them?

SirTwist

I'll wait and see what happens. I'll get through to them that I can't lend them any more money, and that they need to repay me. I think I'll get it all in writing, next time. And signatures, and even notarized. Anything up to $100, I won't do that. Over, I will. I've learned my lesson. Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me. I should have remembered that a long time ago. I'll remember it now.

Mass_Shyster

I'll get through to them that I can't lend them any more money
Tell them you cannot lend them any more money until after they sign a promissory note for the balance already owed.

When they sign that tell them that you cannot lend them any money until after they pay off the prior balance.

Then they pay off the balance, remind them that you never said how long after they paid off the balance that you would lend them more, and that you really had fifty years in mind,.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Then they pay off the balance, remind them that you never said how long after they paid off the balance that you would lend them more, and that you really had fifty years in mind,.
Why play that game? Once it's paid off, OP should simply say "After how much trouble I had collecting last time, I'm not going to loan you money again."

SirTwist

I thought before I proceed with any legal actions, I'd at least ask, and try a diplomatic approach, and see what happens, first. And before they try to borrow more money, they should not do somethings that they are doing first.

latigo

I thought before I proceed with any legal actions, I'd at least ask, and try a diplomatic approach, and see what happens, first. And before they try to borrow more money, they should not do somethings that they are doing first.
There isn't an ounce of practicality or logic in anything you have written. It is so out of harmony with common sense much less sound business acumen as to be incapable of belief.

As a consequence I think you are playing games in here just to gain attention.

Either that or you are trying to gain favor with a distant female who enjoys your largesse but not your company.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">