• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Loan to a Friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kanumurus

Couple of years ago I had given/loaned some money($3000) to a friend who promised me that he will payback in few months. The transfer was done via my BOA Account to his BOA Account. He also confirmed in few emails he will return the money in few months. Now he is not responding my calls or emails. Will I be able to send legal notices based on the my BOA statements and emails from him ?

What are my options ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Couple of years ago I had given/loaned some money($3000) to a friend who promised me that he will payback in few months. The transfer was done via my BOA Account to his BOA Account. He also confirmed in few emails he will return the money in few months. Now he is not responding my calls or emails. Will I be able to send legal notices based on the my BOA statements and emails from him ?

What are my options ?
What US state are you in?

BL

What are my options ?
Do you have an address? If so send a demand letter for repayment via RRR Certified mail through the postal service first, keeping a copy of the letter and the return receipt if picked up.If it's returned to do not open it but consider small claims court taking all the documents with you, and convince the court it was a loan, not a gift.

kanumurus

Do you have an address? If so send a demand letter for repayment via RRR Certified mail through the postal service first, keeping a copy of the letter and the return receipt if picked up.If it's returned to do not open it but consider small claims court taking all the documents with you, and convince the court it was a loan, not a gift.
After some research, I was able to locate a house in FL he owns. I am not sure whether he currently lives in there or not. I will send the demand letter and see how it goes. Do I need an attorney to represent in small claims court?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
After some research, I was able to locate a house in FL he owns. I am not sure whether he currently lives in there or not. I will send the demand letter and see how it goes. Do I need an attorney to represent in small claims court?
Does he LIVE in the house in Florida?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">