• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Loan Please Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lesliebrown79@y

What is the name of your state? Alabama
I loaned a boyfriend (ex...Smart I know) around $2000 some in money orders and some through paying his storage bill. I have a letter written by him stating the amount he owes and the time frame he plans to pay it in. It has exceeded that time frame (by over a year). He occasionally pays $100 every (three or four months or so...) I would like an amount he is required to pay each month rather than at his convenience. He owes $1300 is this worth taking him to small claims court. Will he be required to reimburse me for court/filing costs? I also called my bank to show record of transactions and because it was over a period of five years it was a little pricey. Is there a way to have them subpoenad prior to the court date? Should I get a lawyer for this type of case?What is the name of your state?

racer72

I would like an amount he is required to pay each month rather than at his convenience.
This won't happen. A judgment just gives you the power to collect the debt, it cannot force someone into a payment plan. Some courts will approve a payment plan, but it is usually to protect the debtor, not help the creditor.

He owes $1300 is this worth taking him to small claims court.
That's up to you.

Will he be required to reimburse me for court/filing costs?
You can ask.

I also called my bank to show record of transactions and because it was over a period of five years it was a little pricey. Is there a way to have them subpoenad prior to the court date?
Sure, but you will still have to pay for them.

Should I get a lawyer for this type of case?
That's up to you. For such a small amount, it would likely cost you more than what you are owed. You may want to have a consultation with an attorney to find out how strong of a case you have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">