• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Property Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LawLady4VA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My husband was golfing last weekend and broke a portion of a window on a house that sits right on the golf course.

I was with him and we waited around a minute or so for the owner to come out. We spoke to the man and gave him our information.

We are honest people and want to help this man but if this gets to be very expensive we want to know what our legal rights are. I know usually if you damage someones personal property you are 100% liable to fix it, however, in this situation many people (attorneys included) have told me/us that since the man lives on a golf course he takes a risk and is responsible for damage done if it's a direct result of the golf course - which in this case it was. Although we've been told this no one has been able to site VA Code on this. I have done a ton of research and can't find anything about it. I'm a paralegal and have full access to VA Code both via internet and the actual books.

Any help that anyone could provide is appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">