• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Property Sold Without Permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpw0416

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NORTH CAROLINA

My fiance', while hunting, killed a bobcat and proceeded to take this bobcat to a taxidermist last summer. The taxidermist said it would be ready in November (2004) but didn't call us until February 2005 to let us know that it was ready. I called him and told him that we didn't have the money to get it out as something had come up that we needed to pay for but that we would call him when we could get it. He even commented on how good it looked. He left a message on our answering machine in March that stated to give him a call and let him know if we wanted the bobcat because he had someone that wanted to buy it. We didn't call him back as we still had not come up with the money. We received no further calls from this man. I called him yesterday (5/8/05) to let him know that I was on my way to get it and he told me that he sold it to someone. Can he do this legally without giving us some kind of notice that we had so much time to get it from him before he sold it? Do we have a case?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give me. This bobcat was personal property and meant something to my fiance' and now it's gone. What can we do?

S

seniorjudge

dpw0416 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NORTH CAROLINA

My fiance', while hunting, killed a bobcat and proceeded to take this bobcat to a taxidermist last summer. The taxidermist said it would be ready in November (2004) but didn't call us until February 2005 to let us know that it was ready. I called him and told him that we didn't have the money to get it out as something had come up that we needed to pay for but that we would call him when we could get it. He even commented on how good it looked. He left a message on our answering machine in March that stated to give him a call and let him know if we wanted the bobcat because he had someone that wanted to buy it. We didn't call him back as we still had not come up with the money. We received no further calls from this man. I called him yesterday (5/8/05) to let him know that I was on my way to get it and he told me that he sold it to someone. Can he do this legally without giving us some kind of notice that we had so much time to get it from him before he sold it? Do we have a case?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give me. This bobcat was personal property and meant something to my fiance' and now it's gone. What can we do?

Sue the taxidermist in small claims court for the amount he sold the cat for.

I

itsacatsworld

Is the taxidermist suppose to hold on to your property forever waiting on you to pay him? You need to see if they have a 30 day policy of holding customers property then sale for charges owed. How long do you think a dry cleaners will hold your clothes? 6 months, 1 year? LOL.

dpw0416

We're not talking about $30 worth of dry cleaning here. This is over $1,000 and I believe there is a statute of limitations and a procedure of warning. And no, there is nothing posted, in writing, nor was this communicated verbally. My point is that he should have notified us by giving us a time limit to get the cat out. By the way it hasn't even been 3 months. Do you see what I mean itsacatsworld? I'm sorry if I sound irritated but I really don't think it's funny. i.e. LOL

ENASNI

Um

Go right ahead and get irritated at the cat troll. Was there any contract signed?
Otherwise, do what Da Judge said, if he wasn't being tongue in cheek?

stephenk

how much was it going to cost to stuff the cat? Had you paid any money to the guy before he started his work on the cat?

dpw0416

Thanks ENASNI! No there was no contract signed and yes, we have contacted an attorney and there is some recourse. He sold the bobcat for $1,500. We are going to sue for that and court costs and at least try to get the bobcat back although I doubt that is possible. Thanks guys!

stevek3

dpw0416 said:
Thanks ENASNI! No there was no contract signed and yes, we have contacted an attorney and there is some recourse. He sold the bobcat for $1,500. We are going to sue for that and court costs and at least try to get the bobcat back although I doubt that is possible. Thanks guys!
Are you at least intending to pay the guy for stuffing the animal and some storage charges? Or do you believe you're entitled to a freebie? Sounds like the latter. But keep your chin up. I have confidence you'll eventually find a spotted owl or a bald eagle out there in the woods just itchin' to get blown to bits and glued back together like a Thanksgiving Humpty Dumpty. Lock and load.

dpw0416

All I can do is just laugh stevek3. Are you being sarcastic? I thought forums were to help people and so far I've managed to round up not one but two smartasses out of a simple inquiry for advice. Boy you people really are bored. I feel sorry for you. I actually came on here asking for some kind of help because someone I love needs help. Who are you to judge someone one that hunts wild game?

stevek3

dpw0416 said:
All I can do is just laugh stevek3. Are you being sarcastic? I thought forums were to help people and so far I've managed to round up not one but two smartasses out of a simple inquiry for advice. Boy you people really are bored. I feel sorry for you. I actually came on here asking for some kind of help because someone I love needs help. Who are you to judge someone one that hunts wild game?
Technically, the dodo was once "wild game," too. Bobcats are endangered in Ohio and they are pictured on the front of Charlotte's jerseys in the NBA. Unless it was coming after your livestock, you're a schmoe. At least Ted Nugent eats what he kills. You, on the other hand, just get a cheap thrill. And apparently you can't even afford the cheap thrill.

dpw0416

TO: stevek3

First of all, "I" DIDN'T KILL IT. Secondly, you need to brush up on North Carolina wildlife. Bobcat hunting season HERE IN NORTH CAROLINA opens October 18 and ends February 28. So you are the moron and you must be a fag if you are crying about killing animals that are wild and come up and kill small children and/or pets. Here in NORTH CAROLINA it's a different story and from the sound of it you wouldn't last a day. So NO we don't kill for the thrill of it and we don't waste the meat. Sweetheart, if you knew ANYTHING about taxidermy you would know that you only give them the skin and the head. YA EAT THE REST!!!!! Bobcats are NOT endangered here. Just in case you have a hard time understanding that you can visit the North Carolina Wild Life Web site.

By the way, I couldn't afford to get the bobcat out at the time because I bought my kids EVERYTHING they wanted for Christmas. So stop trying to put me down as you don't even know me.

ENASNI

bobcat nuggets
Recipe Number: 313
Preparation Time: NA
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:
ham's and back straps flour, salt, pepper ,bacon or sausage grease.
Cooking Instructions:
Cut meat from bone, cutting away any gristle,fat,etc. Cut into nuggets or strips the same as you would do a wild turkey breast. The meat of a bobcat is almost exactly the same texture,color,etc. as that of a wild turkey breast. Add salt and pepper to taste to your flour, roll nuggets and fry in sausage grease until brown. Pretend its chicken or turkey, cook it the same way.

Additional Comments:
Trust me on this. I know you are going to think, eeeh bobcat??? Wrong!!This is as good as any porkchop I'v ever eaten. It is absolutely delicious.
Found this on a biggamerecipes.com

S

seniorjudge

ENASNI said:
bobcat nuggets
Recipe Number: 313
Preparation Time: NA
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:
ham's and back straps flour, salt, pepper ,bacon or sausage grease.
Cooking Instructions:
Cut meat from bone, cutting away any gristle,fat,etc. Cut into nuggets or strips the same as you would do a wild turkey breast. The meat of a bobcat is almost exactly the same texture,color,etc. as that of a wild turkey breast. Add salt and pepper to taste to your flour, roll nuggets and fry in sausage grease until brown. Pretend its chicken or turkey, cook it the same way.

Additional Comments:
Trust me on this. I know you are going to think, eeeh bobcat??? Wrong!!This is as good as any porkchop I'v ever eaten. It is absolutely delicious.
Found this on a biggamerecipes.com
cutting away any gristle,fat,etc.

That's the best part!

stevek3

dpw0416 said:
First of all, "I" DIDN'T KILL IT. Secondly, you need to brush up on North Carolina wildlife. Bobcat hunting season HERE IN NORTH CAROLINA opens October 18 and ends February 28. So you are the moron and you must be a fag if you are crying about killing animals that are wild and come up and kill small children and/or pets. Here in NORTH CAROLINA it's a different story and from the sound of it you wouldn't last a day. So NO we don't kill for the thrill of it and we don't waste the meat. Sweetheart, if you knew ANYTHING about taxidermy you would know that you only give them the skin and the head. YA EAT THE REST!!!!! Bobcats are NOT endangered here. Just in case you have a hard time understanding that you can visit the North Carolina Wild Life Web site.

By the way, I couldn't afford to get the bobcat out at the time because I bought my kids EVERYTHING they wanted for Christmas. So stop trying to put me down as you don't even know me.
But from the sound of it, you forgot to give the guy who stuffed your animal what he wanted for Christmas...A PAYCHECK. And let's be honest here...I don't believe for a second you ate that damn thing, or even considered it. Hell, you probably told the bobcat it was merely going to get its vaccinations and a check-up. That bobcat must have been really surprised when he instead found half of his head sticking out of a wall while the chestnuts underneath him roasted on an open fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">