• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pet surrender fee - who's responsible for paying?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shwissy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My ex-boyfriend's mother is harassing me and my family members regarding a fee she thinks she is owed and wants me to reimburse her for.

Here are the facts: My ex-boyfriend and I moved in to his parents house two years ago with a dog I brought with me from Indiana (where I purchased him). My ex's mother (lets call her Shirley) immediately became attached to the dog and starting referring to him as her dog. The dog lived with us at her house; she paid for all the food, toys, treats, vet visits, and even paid to have him micro-chipped and had the chip's information registered under her name. She treated him and referred to him as her dog.

Recently I moved out of Shirley's house. She let me know she did not want the dog to stay with her since she wouldn't be able to take care of him. I found him a new home and the dog went to live with a new family (with all the toys, bedding, blankets, and food Shirley had bought for him). Shortly after, the new owner (who consequently never had the registration switched over from Shirley's name) was arrested and went to jail. The dog was therefore picked up by animal services, and Shirley was called to either come pick up the dog or surrender him. Shirley called me and left a voice mail telling me she was going to the shelter to surrender him. She did not negotiate with me about the best course of action, she just made up her mind that she was going to surrender him. Not long after she surrendered him she began harassing me, claiming that I owed her the $200 fee associated with surrendering him, and that she would sue me if she didn't get the money. Before surrendering him she left me a voicemail saying since the dog was hers, she was making the decision on what to do with him.

Since the dog was effectively hers and I had no say in the matter regarding surrendering him to the shelter, I do not believe she is entitled to any money from me. Even though I was his original owner, she took care of him, paid for all his needs, and even registered him in her name. I just wonder if she has a viable claim here. In other words, if she proceeds with her intent to file a claim against me, would she be successful? Do I owe her anything or is she just trying to shake me down? Also, should I respond to or ignore the email she had sent to me regarding her intent to pursue legal action?

Last edited:

CdwJava

If you do not wish to pay her, she can sue you in Small Claims Court. Whether she will prevail or not will depend on the testimony given.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">