• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petition to Remove Me From My Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fyyne

I'm in Texas and have just bought a house about 6months ago. Due to family illness, I had to move back in with my parent for a little while, but still own the house. The house is out in the county, so I have several dogs. Most of the dogs I'm just fostering. Well, I have these neighbors that hate my dogs and me, so they are saying they are going to get a petition together and then take me to court to force me to sell my house and move out of their neighborhood. I'm attempting to keep the peace as much as possible, but my attempts aren't working, can they do that to me?

HomeGuru

I'm in Texas and have just bought a house about 6months ago. Due to family illness, I had to move back in with my parent for a little while, but still own the house. The house is out in the county, so I have several dogs. Most of the dogs I'm just fostering. Well, I have these neighbors that hate my dogs and me, so they are saying they are going to get a petition together and then take me to court to force me to sell my house and move out of their neighborhood. I'm attempting to keep the peace as much as possible, but my attempts aren't working, can they do that to me?
**A: there must be a lot more to this story. Generally, Texas neighbors do not just start a petiton on a neighbor for no reason.

justalayman

so, basically you have these dogs at an unoccupied house where you go occasionally to feed and water the dogs. In the meantime they are allowed to bark and do whatever at will.

Are the dogs inside or outside?

do they bark? dig? escape?

are they vicious?

how often do you tend to the dogs?

does anybody in the neighborhood have contact info for you?

Fyyne

I go out every other day to work at the house as it does need some repair. At this time I also check the dogs food and water. 1 dog barks sometimes due to other dogs in area barking at i dont even know wat. The dogs had been climbing the fence w/o my knowledge, because of this, I have started putting up a hotwire to keep them inside and I have put a stop to their getting out temporarily until hotwire is finished. The neighbors were upset that i would park my veh on the side of the road as well, so I am fixing the fence so that I can park inside the fence w/o having to put my dogs into the house. Dogs are all outside dogs, no, they are not vicious. There is only the one neighbor that has made any complaints, the others have never spoken to me except once where they made no complaints to me, it was a yard sale.... These particular neighbors that are giving me problems drink a lot. My worry is that other neighbors will side with them cuz I am the new kid on the block and I'm not the sociable lets-get-together-and-gossip type, honestly I'd just rather be left alone to work around outside.

Last edited:

justalayman

well, at this current point in time, the neighbors have a kennel for a neighbor. I believe i would have problems with that as well. If there is an HOA, then they can do whatever the HOA rules allow. No HOA, they are limited to reporting violations of law/ordinances. If no HOA and they want you to go, they would have to offer to buy you out.

latigo

Of course the neighbors cannot force you or any other owner to sell his or her property. Why would you even question it?

However, they might be able to secure a court injunction abating what most would consider an annoying neighborhood nuisance created by your unattended animals. Plus, what it could very well be construed as an unlicensed kennel!

I can assure you that if I lived in close proximity to your “animal shelter”, I would have you in court in a heartbeat.

You say you want to make "peace"? Then remove the dogs!

TinkerBelleLuvr

How many dogs are we talking?

Do I understand this correctly that YOU leave your dogs unattended for periods of 48 hours or more? Don't care if you check on them every other day, but how cruel is that to the animals? What happens if they dump over their water an hour after you leave. Then they would be out of water for 47 hours or more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">