• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone was stolen in our apartment, suspecting maintenance guy.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alanhzl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. But here was what happened to us.

My wife recently had her cell phone stolen, it was a $450 worth cell phone at the time of purchase. Although we did not pay full price for it with the discount we received by agreeing a 2 year contract with the mobile company.

The phone was stolen, and we suspect it was stolen by the maintenance guy that came to fix our maintenance problems. The phone was missing after he left the house. My wife has thoroughly searched the house, but the phone was no where to be found.

The phone was last seen by the kitchen sink where the maintenance guy was working. Me and my mother both saw the phone earlier that day(early morning). When the maintenance guy came, my wife was the only one home, but she was also busy taking care of our baby, and did not pay much attention to the phone. And she had not left the house at all prior to the maintenance guy coming.

We have contacted our phone company to have the line suspended temporary, and we also have filed a police report.

The officer that works at the police station even told us that they would probably not going to be able to do anything for us, and the case would probably be closed without even being looked at.

Our phone company told us that they wouldn't be able to release any information regarding the person who could possibly re-use the phone with a different sim card nor would they be able to block the phone to prevent it from being used again, even if we have the IMEI number.

So my question is how could we possibly take this case further? Maybe just to get the police and my phone company involve just a little bit more to atleast have the stolen phone blocked, so that it won't be re-used again.

I know this is possible with the IMEI number.

And also, we feel that the apartment managent should be alerted and take this matter seriously, because all of their maintenance workers have access and are allowed into our home even when we are not present.

I also want to point out that we are from Virginia, and according to the state larceny law, anything that was stolen worth more than $200 would be considered grand larceny which is a felony.

Thank you for taking the time and read this post, and any of your help is greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

aldaron

You didn't see him take it or your wife, so theres no evidence that he took it. Unless he admits taking it or theres some other evidence of him calling/using the phone your out of luck. There simply is no evidence to prove he took it.

alanhzl

I know the chances of getting the phone back or pressing charges against the suspect is slim to none.

But what i want to know is, how to get the police involved just a tap bit more.

If they would simply talk to my phone provider and make known that the phone was lost or suspect stolen. Then my phone company would initiate a IMEI block on the phone, so that it can't be used by anyone else.

When i spoke to my phone company, they did say that it's possible, but they would not initiate the block, unless it was requested by law enforcements, that there is some sort of investigation going on regarding the lost/stolen phone.

and i know it varies from state to state, but in order for the polices to pursue any kinds of stolen properties, the properties have to worth more than a certain amount.

So has anyone ever come across a situation like this and were able to take actions further than just letting it go, buying a new phone and moving on.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thousands upon thousands of cell phones are lost/stolen each year. Your case will have no higher priority than any other.

xylene

So has anyone ever come across a situation like this and were able to take actions further than just letting it go, buying a new phone and moving on.
Apple Inc. got the their drunkenly lost and subsequently 'stolen' iPhone prototype back...

Are you very wealthy and or politically connected?

Then let go and move on it is.

In reality you have no evidence of theft.

Where you believe you last saw it is not evidence of any kind.

Do you even have a telco report of any activity on the phone since it went missing?

None of this is to say that your suspicions should not be followed up on... be careful.

swalsh411

Why would the phone company want to make the phone unusable? Their business is providing phone service. It's not their job to safeguard your property. From their perspective, without a police report, they have no way of knowing that you didn't sell your phone to a friend, then get pissed off at him for some unrelated reason and seek your revenge by turning off his phone.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why would the phone company want to make the phone unusable? Their business is providing phone service. It's not their job to safeguard your property. From their perspective, without a police report, they have no way of knowing that you didn't sell your phone to a friend, then get pissed off at him for some unrelated reason and seek your revenge by turning off his phone.
Heck, even WITH a report, the same thing could have happened ;)

alanhzl

Heck, even WITH a report, the same thing could have happened ;)
Why? Does that sound like something you would do? "" ;) ""

And thanks, after reading 4 replies pretty much suggesting about the same outcome, i think i finally get it.

And my appreciations to those who replies with the true intentions to help, thank you, I read you.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Why? Does that sound like something you would do? "" ;) ""
He's participating in the LEGAL discussion as to WHY the company has such policies.

It's called, "logic." Some people are blessed with it, some aren't.

;)

;);););)

alanhzl said:
And thanks, after reading 4 replies pretty much suggesting about the same thing, i think i finally get it.
Good.

alanhzl said:
And my appreciations to those who replies with the true intentions to help, thank you, I read you.
Where do YOU volunteer YOUR time and talents??

alanhzl

He's participating in the LEGAL discussion as to WHY the company has such policies.

It's called, "logic." Some people are blessed with it, some aren't.

;)

;);););)

Good.

Where do YOU volunteer YOUR time and talents??
Like i said, i finally get it. Don't you? like wise, it's "logic" some are blessed with it, same aren't.

apparently some of the same places as you do.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">