• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plantiff has to pay the defendents legal fees in North Carolina small claims court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpgxsvcd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

We recently were the plaintiffs in a case that was dismissed. We were asking for $1200 and instead the judge awarded the defendant $2000 in legal fees. Is that right in North Carolina? Do you have to counter sue for legal fees or can you just ask for them?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes I understand that. I was si8mply asking can a judge award Attorney's fees in North Carolina without a counter suit?
I very recently heard of a case where exactly that happened:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

We recently were the plaintiffs in a case that was dismissed. We were asking for $1200 and instead the judge awarded the defendant $2000 in legal fees. Is that right in North Carolina? Do you have to counter sue for legal fees or can you just ask for them?

Silverplum

Yes I understand that. I was si8mply asking can a judge award Attorney's fees in North Carolina without a counter suit?
The judge can, because the judge did.

The type of lawsuit matters: just a quick read (yup, Google is so useful! ;)) tells me that much. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">