• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Advise Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Agamemnon74

What is the name of your state? Florida
I made a verbal agreement to take over payment of a vehicle from a friend, nothing in writing,I couldn't refinance the vehicle due to poor past credit and he could not afford it and was behind a payment already, deal was to pay the vehicle down till I could get refinanced in my name, both parties benefited. After paying for almost 2 years (close to $13,000 - I have all the cancelled checks to prove payments and many mutual friends who knew the agreement existed) the person I made the agreement with took said vehicle when i was asleep and traded it in to dealership. I am out alot of money, foolish deal i guess, but trusted a friend. I also insured said vehicle for the entire period in my name. Between paying for said vehicle for this period and insuring the vehicle, Is this enough proof to try and recover some of the losses I have incurred? I feel full return of investment is NOT possible due to the fact that said vehicle was in my custody for the same period. Now I am walking to work, less approx. $13,000 in vehicle payments only (not including Insurance), and was forced to drop out of school due to the distance. I am hurting, is there hope for me? Should I try small claims court? What can I do?
Please help me if u can,
-Agamemnon74

stephenk

how did he take the car? did he have keys?

how were you making the monthly payments? did the finance company send you the payment tickets?

was the car registered in your name? who renewed the registration?

didnt your insurance require you to provide proof of ownership before insuring the car?

T

toasted

---------> I also insured said vehicle for the entire period in my name. Between paying for said vehicle for this period and insuring the vehicle, Is this enough proof to try and recover some of the losses I have incurred?<------------

I would say this should give you proof of possession, etc. It does show your address correct? Was tag in your name? If not, was your address att least on registration?

Even though they came and took it from your property and it was legally theirs, technically it was stolen, but ask a lawyer on this count.

I would definitely go to court.

JETX

Toasted: Your name is really appropriate, since from your post, it appears your mind is TOASTED!!

" ---------> I also insured said vehicle for the entire period in my name. Between paying for said vehicle for this period and insuring the vehicle, Is this enough proof to try and recover some of the losses I have incurred?<------------

I would say this should give you proof of possession, etc. It does show your address correct? Was tag in your name? If not, was your address att least on registration?"

Having auto insurance in your name is NOT 'proof of possession'!! And what the hell IS 'proof of possession'??? Simply, there is no such thing!! Are you trying to say 'proof of ownership'?? If so, that is established ONLY by the title!!

Stephenk is correct. Without anything to the contrary, this writer has simply paid $13k to 'lease' the car for two years.

S

suzeeh

I would say the amount in question is over the amount for Small Claims Court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">