• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

navnoova

What is the name of your state? California

This is the situation:

My parents sold their daycare business to some close family friends. At the time, I was pregnant with twins. The new owners-to-be repeatedly said they would take both kids for free, but we knew that was unrealistic. In the end we agreed to a 50% discount. This agreement was VERBAL.

After the children had been enrolled for a month, I paid her $800 - which is 50% of a month's tuition for both kids. She cashed the check.

A month later - the day I was going to planning on paying my next month's tuition, she left me an envelope with an invoice for the balance of the FULL tuition (no discount) - she even added days the kids hadn't even been enrolled yet, as well as a letter stating that she could not accept my children any longer. NO notice.

My question is this: Is the verbal agreement binding for the 50% discount?
She is required to give me 2 weeks notice before dropping my children, so I want to pay her the remaining weeks @ the 50% rate, and subtracting the 2 weeks notice she should have given me. Does she have any grounds to collect the remainder? She does not have any proof that my children even attended the last month.

Please advise!!!

HomeGuru

navnoova said:
What is the name of your state? California

This is the situation:

My parents sold their daycare business to some close family friends. At the time, I was pregnant with twins. The new owners-to-be repeatedly said they would take both kids for free, but we knew that was unrealistic. In the end we agreed to a 50% discount. This agreement was VERBAL.

After the children had been enrolled for a month, I paid her $800 - which is 50% of a month's tuition for both kids. She cashed the check.

A month later - the day I was going to planning on paying my next month's tuition, she left me an envelope with an invoice for the balance of the FULL tuition (no discount) - she even added days the kids hadn't even been enrolled yet, as well as a letter stating that she could not accept my children any longer. NO notice.

My question is this: Is the verbal agreement binding for the 50% discount?
She is required to give me 2 weeks notice before dropping my children, so I want to pay her the remaining weeks @ the 50% rate, and subtracting the 2 weeks notice she should have given me. Does she have any grounds to collect the remainder? She does not have any proof that my children even attended the last month.

Please advise!!!

**A: this is a small claims matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">