• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hlp1976

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

When I moved into my apartment with my roommate all of the untilites were put in my name. The first few months were fine, but then there was a falling out. She now has refused to pay any of the utilities for the last six months. She is telling me that she refuses to pay any of the utilities because she claims my boyfriend vandalized her car (he did not).

I have sent a certified letter stating exactly what she owes me along with copies of the bills from the utilities she owes on. What else can I do to collect? Can I sue her? Is there anything else I can do?

Thank You

Happy Trails

hlp1976 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

When I moved into my apartment with my roommate all of the untilites were put in my name. The first few months were fine, but then there was a falling out. She now has refused to pay any of the utilities for the last six months. She is telling me that she refuses to pay any of the utilities because she claims my boyfriend vandalized her car (he did not).

I have sent a certified letter stating exactly what she owes me along with copies of the bills from the utilities she owes on. What else can I do to collect? Can I sue her? Is there anything else I can do?

Thank You
If she isn't willing to pay, your only option is to sue. If you decide to sue, you will have the burden of proving that she owes you.

This is a very informative link: http://www.19thcircuitcourt.state.il.us/self-help/s_claims/s_claim_hb/s_claim1201.htm

hlp1976

Thank you for the website, it gave me some of the other information I was looking for as far as where to go and what not.

As far as proving she owes me for the utilites, what kind of documentation would show that. I have her cancelled checks from previous months when she did pay with the name of the utility companies in the memo area. Is this enough??

Happy Trails

hlp1976 said:
Thank you for the website, it gave me some of the other information I was looking for as far as where to go and what not.

As far as proving she owes me for the utilites, what kind of documentation would show that. I have her cancelled checks from previous months when she did pay with the name of the utility companies in the memo area. Is this enough??
That's a good start. Was she on the lease? Do you have proof that she lived there the months that you are asking for utilities?

Anything that shows she was responsible for her portion of the utilities. If she was paying her portion of the rent, but didn't pay the utilities a Judge is going to wonder why.

She may even try to countersue for the damage to her car, but she has no proof.

hlp1976

Thank you sooo much!! To answer your questions, yes she is on the lease. She took the copy of our lease, but I can get a copy from our landlord. As far as countersuing, she tried to file a police report and they dropped everything because there was no proof that he did it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">