• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aj85

Hi! Yesterday I was invited by a friend to a boat get together (6 people). I only knew my friend, not the rest of the group. Things went well till the end when one guy decided it was funny if he turned the water hose on and spray it full blast into my DSLR Nikon camera. The camera died (I confirmed with a local camera shop today as well) - the optics are irreparable. The guy offered to pay for a new camera. However I needed it for today as I need the professional camera for my class. So my friends' best friend offered me her credit card to buy a new one and the guy would pay her back as he's a very close friend of hers.

I did so thinking it wouldn't be a problem. However, today he called the girl who gave me the credit card and said he wouldn't pay. The camera cannot be returned as it was a final sale (and I could never graduate without one. I can't afford to buy one by myself). The girl is now asking me to pay for it even though my camera died through no fault of my own and she should be bothering the guy as they entered a verbal contract that she lends me the card and he pays her later. What do I do in this situation? A friend who's a lawyer said I washed my hands clean the second they entered that contract but I need a second opinion as I'm really stressed out because I cannot return it nor can I afford it.

Also, I live in Vancouver, BC

Proserpina

Hi! Yesterday I was invited by a friend to a boat get together (6 people). I only knew my friend, not the rest of the group. Things went well till the end when one guy decided it was funny if he turned the water hose on and spray it full blast into my DSLR Nikon camera. The camera died (I confirmed with a local camera shop today as well) - the optics are irreparable. The guy offered to pay for a new camera. However I needed it for today as I need the professional camera for my class. So my friends' best friend offered me her credit card to buy a new one and the guy would pay her back as he's a very close friend of hers.

I did so thinking it wouldn't be a problem. However, today he called the girl who gave me the credit card and said he wouldn't pay. The camera cannot be returned as it was a final sale (and I could never graduate without one. I can't afford to buy one by myself). The girl is now asking me to pay for it even though my camera died through no fault of my own and she should be bothering the guy as they entered a verbal contract that she lends me the card and he pays her later. What do I do in this situation? A friend who's a lawyer said I washed my hands clean the second they entered that contract but I need a second opinion as I'm really stressed out because I cannot return it nor can I afford it.

Also, I live in Vancouver, BC

Sorry, US law only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">