• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help ex trying to take me to civil court!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenn21

What is the name of your state? Florida

In the end of February, I was laid off by my company because they were having financial hardships and were behind 5 paychecks to me....(I was paid weekly). My saving was running dry and I was getting behind on bills. I found a new job but like any company it was going to take 2 weeks to get my first check. My old company had started paying me back 350 weekly which was barely enough to survive. The guy I was dating at the time knew of my money problems and knew that rent was going to be a huge burden on me. One night he called me and told me he was stopping by. On the way to my appartment he paid my rent for me. We've since stopped dating and now he is saying that I owe him the money and he is going to take me to court. He calls me like 4 times a day and text messages. I ignore his calls because he is very rude to me. He is threatening to take me to civil court(even taking it as far as saying he is going to send the papers to my parents house who live 3 hours away). I am still trying to catch up from the weeks without pay and do not know what to do. We had no verbal agreement of when to pay back or even if to pay back. Any advice. I'd really like this guy to stop harrassing me.

BelizeBreeze

Tell him to kiss your grits. And that if he attempts to serve you at your parent's home, they should NOT forward them nor should they accept them.

You owe him the money. But that's between the two of you. He would lose if he took this matter to court based solely on what you have posted here.

Now, you ARE telling us the whole story right?

jenn21

thanks

The only other piece of the puzzle was that I did pay him 150 in cash when I had alittle extra money.....I recognize that the right thing to do is pay him back because it was my rent.....but when I break it down power will get turned off it do not pay, I will get evicted if I do not pay my rent...etc. He just wants it all NOW and I can't do that!

BL

You would have to be served , and IF he were to get a Judgment , even IF they garnished your wages , it would only be a small percentage , each paycheck , If that's how he collected .

rmet4nzkx

It all depends on what happened.
If he knew of your problem and of his own free will, without you asking him to or promising to pay him back, gifted you the rent, then your gratious payment of $150 in cash is also a gift. But if you asked him to loan you the money for your rent and began paying him back re that verbal contract and or of your own free will, that is a different story. Did he ask you to repay the money? If so, When? Before or after you broke up?

jenn21

:)

For starters, I never once asked him to for any amount of money. That is not in my nature. I prefer to figure things out on my own. We never had a verbal agreement of repayment. He stopped talking to me for 2 weeks because he met another girl, I got uspet, we got into an arguement and that is when he requested the money back.

I made the deposit in his account...I requested his bank account number....

Is there anything I can do to get him to stop harrassing me.....I am making a log of when he calls me (date and time) and text messages me. I am worried about running into him on the street and how this is going to play out. It is getting out of control.

I get numerous annoumous calls throughout the day. He had his friend call me from a different cellphone.....

finniganps

You acknowledge you owe him the money...despite all the back and forth. He's calling you because you refuse to talk rationally with him. It sounds like you haven't paid him a DIME since February. So, either borrow the money from your parents or someone else and pay him. If you can't do that, thank him for helping you, tell him you can pay him X dollars per week, and that is all you can do. Then PAY him the amount you can every week (or whenever you get paid). Cut back on discretionary expenses (cancel your cable for 6 months) and get this debt paid off. You acknowledge that he helped you when you needed it, so do the decent thing and pay him back.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

finniganps said:
You acknowledge you owe him the money...despite all the back and forth. So, either borrow the money from your parents or someone else and pay him. If you can't do that, thank him for helping you, tell him you can pay him X dollars per week, and that is all you can do. Then PAY him the amount you can every week (or whenever you get paid). Cut back on discretionary expenses and get this debt paid off. You acknowledge that he helped you when you needed it, so do the decent thing and pay him back.
Look up the legal definition of "GIFT" then come back for a refresher course on LEGAL Advice.

jenn21: contact your phone company and ask for a printout of all calls made over a two-week span. Take that to the police station and ask to speak with the officer in charge. Tell him/her you want to get a no-contact order for this individual.

Is that plain enough?

finniganps

BelizeBreeze said:
Look up the legal definition of "GIFT" then come back for a refresher course on LEGAL Advice.

jenn21: contact your phone company and ask for a printout of all calls made over a two-week span. Take that to the police station and ask to speak with the officer in charge. Tell him/her you want to get a no-contact order for this individual.

Is that plain enough?
You might be right, LEGALLY, but if she does NOT pay the ex back after making a partial payment ($150), she's just being a LEACH. Not paying him back is simply immoral.

BelizeBreeze

finniganps said:
You might be right, LEGALLY, but if she does NOT pay the ex back after making a partial payment ($150), she's just being a LEACH. Not paying him back is simply immoral.
And THAT is a personal opinion. So, you know what it's worth.

jenn21

finniganps said:
You acknowledge you owe him the money...despite all the back and forth. He's calling you because you refuse to talk rationally with him. It sounds like you haven't paid him a DIME since February. So, either borrow the money from your parents or someone else and pay him. If you can't do that, thank him for helping you, tell him you can pay him X dollars per week, and that is all you can do. Then PAY him the amount you can every week (or whenever you get paid). Cut back on discretionary expenses (cancel your cable for 6 months) and get this debt paid off. You acknowledge that he helped you when you needed it, so do the decent thing and pay him back.
Thanks for your opinion in this matter but before you start name calling and passing judgement please be sure you have your facts straight. 1. I never asked him to do it. It was his decision. 2. The 150 I gave him was because I wanted to do it and at the time he wasn't asking for any of it back/ prebreak-up! 3. I have tried numerous times to rationally talk to him (and I really do not understand how you came to the conclusion otherwise.) The reality of all of this is he regrets his decision now and he is taking it out on me. I do not deserve the harrassment and have put up with it for far too long!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">