• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

veryscared

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I was caught shoplifting today at Starbuck's. I was caught shoplifting eight years ago so this is not my first offense. I cannot afford an attorney and I really do not want to go to jail. I will represent myself when I get my summons and have to appear before a magistrate. I am hoping I can just only have to appear before a magistrate and have it not go beyond that. I am HIV+ and on SSDI. When the police officer arrived he asked me if I were on any medication. I am thin and I think I am at a stage where I can no longer hide my illness. I am not trying to use my illness as an excuse for what I did. I just find myself under alot of pressure all the time and do not think before I act. I am not working and have a very limited income. Is there any advice you can give me when I represent myself? I do not know what to say when I go. I do not know what the laws for your second offense in Massachusetts are but I am sure they are pretty harsh. I am so so afraid. I know I will not sleep a night until this is resolved. Also, if you will allow me to ask you one final question. When I do appear before the magistrate is that when I will get arrested and finger printed? When I shoplifted eight years ago I was finger printed, photographed and arraigned all in the same day. I wonder why all that did not happen the same way this time. Please offer me some advice if you can so I can somewhat begin to think straight again. All I do is get sicker and sicker on my stomach when I think about what I did.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I was caught shoplifting today at Starbuck's. I was caught shoplifting eight years ago so this is not my first offense. I cannot afford an attorney and I really do not want to go to jail. I will represent myself when I get my summons and have to appear before a magistrate. I am hoping I can just only have to appear before a magistrate and have it not go beyond that. I am HIV+ and on SSDI. When the police officer arrived he asked me if I were on any medication. I am thin and I think I am at a stage where I can no longer hide my illness. I am not trying to use my illness as an excuse for what I did. I just find myself under alot of pressure all the time and do not think before I act. I am not working and have a very limited income. Is there any advice you can give me when I represent myself? I do not know what to say when I go. I do not know what the laws for your second offense in Massachusetts are but I am sure they are pretty harsh. I am so so afraid. I know I will not sleep a night until this is resolved. Also, if you will allow me to ask you one final question. When I do appear before the magistrate is that when I will get arrested and finger printed? When I shoplifted eight years ago I was finger printed, photographed and arraigned all in the same day. I wonder why all that did not happen the same way this time. Please offer me some advice if you can so I can somewhat begin to think straight again. All I do is get sicker and sicker on my stomach when I think about what I did.
duplicate post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">