• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KS_tenant

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

Hi,

I know my story is probably a common one. Last year I had $30,000 in the bank and was a very happy person. I met this guy who told me once his house sold he was getting $25,000.00. We started dating and eventually moved in together. Both of our names were on the lease. After the initial "honeymoon" period he became very controlling and quit his job. I paid for everything. Rent, utilities, food, his gas, etc.

I was wondering what my legal options are now that he is shacked up with a new sucker (that apparently he was cheating on me with). I told him that if he didn't start paying half of the rent by this month he was going to have to move out. I had a garage sale with all of his belongings and made $50.00. He moved and didn't call me for seven days, so I considered that abandonment. He claims he doesn't owe me anything because I sold his stuff. But he really had nothing of value anyway. Two paint ball guns and a circa 2000 laptop computer.

I can only "prove" through checks that I paid for the entirety of rent and his dog's health insurance payments. This totals over $6,500.00.

Can someone please tell me what is the best way to get some of my hard earned money back?

Antigone*

Can someone please tell me what is the best way to get some of my hard earned money back?
You are right this is all too common. What are you looking to recover:confused: He should be looking to recover from you ~ You sold HIS belongings. He can take you to court for that and could probably win.

You have nothing that says he was going to pay your anything. You were living together and you paid expenses for the time you decided to play house.

Next time...don't play house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">