• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PLEASE help me out!!! I want my camera/memory cards back!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ichibanmnm

I am from Burlington NC. I was at Carolina Beach, NC a couple months ago. While I was there, I decided to hang out with the neighbors that were camping next to me. On the final night, I accidently left my camera(in it's carrying case with 2 memory cards, and a camping/military style shovel) at her campsite. The next day I realized everything was missing. I confronted her, and she said that she 'knew' who may have my items. We exchanged addresses and telephone numbers....she said that she would mail my property back to me, I insisted on paying for the shipment, but she would'nt allow that. I arrived home that evening, called her, and she said she had recovered those items for me. I waited about 2 weeks before I called again, no answer...then again....no answer. I think about my 10 try, I got an answer from her mother(in her 60s+). Still no camera in the mail after 1.5 months. I called more.....one night I called and said that I would have to resort to another way and ask that she call me by 3 the next day, she took it as a threat and called me cursed at me and hung up the phone, but promising that I would get my camera and other items back. That was over 3 weeks ago, maybe 4. This is my second digital camera. It is also the second one to be "stolen". It's not the camera or the shovel that I miss, but it's the many pictures on the 2 memory cards that I miss. You can't put any value on pictures. But total value, that I put on all items that she has is $470. I know this probably isn't enough for small claims. I was wondering, if I do press charges, can I do it where I live, or do I have to go to where she lives??? THanks, MIke

HomeGuru

I am from Burlington NC. I was at Carolina Beach, NC a couple months ago. While I was there, I decided to hang out with the neighbors that were camping next to me. On the final night, I accidently left my camera(in it's carrying case with 2 memory cards, and a camping/military style shovel) at her campsite. The next day I realized everything was missing. I confronted her, and she said that she 'knew' who may have my items. We exchanged addresses and telephone numbers....she said that she would mail my property back to me, I insisted on paying for the shipment, but she would'nt allow that. I arrived home that evening, called her, and she said she had recovered those items for me. I waited about 2 weeks before I called again, no answer...then again....no answer. I think about my 10 try, I got an answer from her mother(in her 60s+). Still no camera in the mail after 1.5 months. I called more.....one night I called and said that I would have to resort to another way and ask that she call me by 3 the next day, she took it as a threat and called me cursed at me and hung up the phone, but promising that I would get my camera and other items back. That was over 3 weeks ago, maybe 4. This is my second digital camera. It is also the second one to be "stolen". It's not the camera or the shovel that I miss, but it's the many pictures on the 2 memory cards that I miss. You can't put any value on pictures. But total value, that I put on all items that she has is $470. I know this probably isn't enough for small claims. I was wondering, if I do press charges, can I do it where I live, or do I have to go to where she lives??? THanks, MIke
**A: you have absolutely no case for small claims or any other court venue.
But then, I guess you realized that anyway right?

JETX

Okay, here is what you need to do.... expend a little energy and effort here.

Send her a very nice letter (certified RRR and first class) providing a tactful description of the circumstances (misplaced camera and cards, she found them and promised to return). Give her an excuse ("I know you have probably been busy with getting the family ready for school" or similar). Ask her to please send the items to you by COD mail. Include a check for $5 or $10 "to cover expenses of mailing", etc.
Heck, you can send her a box (USPS Priority Mail has a good little 'VCR cassette' box) that you can pre-address, flat-rate put postage on it and send it to her.
MAKE THIS SIMPLE FOR HER.

Dandy Don

You will need to talk to a small claims attorney to figure out your alternatives.

Don't you understand that she may have pawned or sold the item for cash? If you clarify that you are primarily interested in getting the memory cards back maybe she will be forthcoming in providing information to assist you. But in view of the fact that you all have exchanged harsh words she may be done with you and your only recourse will be to pursue it in court. Do you have the time, money and energy to do this?

tranquility

JETX is right (as is homeguru, but her way has no chance of success). Be nice, make it easy, try to give a vague sense of disquiet to the other person.

The OP is not going to get any criminal charges against anyone here. As to civil, the OP cannot prove the other party has the items with *any* evidence, so certainly can't come up with a perponderance of the evidence when the other person comes to court and says, "I don't have it."

Even trying to get the other person to name someone won't work as the OP's own facts say he "may" know who has it.

1. The OP has nothing.
2. JETX is the only plan to possibly get anything.
3. If it doesn't work, see #1.

BL

Poster , do as most do , tell them they can keep the camera , but please - please send the cards w/ the pictures .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">