• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help me with this problem .... do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

ThreeCar3

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

On Dec 1,2002 I went to Sight N Sound (Aarons) to purchase a 52" wide screen T.V. The first one that I picked, they did not have in a box only the floor model. I wanted a new one in a box so I chose a more expensive one for $1890.00, with the agreement that I would receive a new T.V. in a box. I paid the first months payment $158.68.
When the T.V. was delivered it was not in a box and the delivery man said that this was the only one they had left. He set up the T.V. and discovered that the remote was not the correct one for that T.V. he called the store from our house and told them of the problem. They promised to have us a remote the next day. We cannot use any of the features with the "Universal Remote" that was sent. We have to manually get up to switch the channels.

We went back to the store the next day and no one seemed to know what we were talking about. The Manager that was on duty said that they would be receiving a new shipment of T.V.'s in 3 days and he would call us when they came in and he would just give us a remote out of one of those T.V.'s. 3 days came and went and no call.
Again we went to the store and told them of our delima, the manager that we had spoken to was not there but the manager on duty said that there was no way that they were going to open a new box and give us a remote. They took us to a room where they had a box full of remotes and we looked through them but nothing matched the remote that was in our manual. Now they were going to order us one thru RCA.
Again, a week came and went and no phone call. We went up to the store again and a lady was there from the corporate office, she told them to get us a remote even if they had to oder one from RCA or just bring us out a new T.V. in a box and switch them out we said that there was nothing wrong with the T.V. if they could just get us the right remote.
A salesman left us a message about 4 days later and said our remote was in. My husband went to pick it up within an hour of the call. When he got to the store and told them what he was there for they asked him "do you know those two ladies that just left?" he told them that he didn't and the said, " I guess that we gave them your remote, sorry." So we asked them to pick up the T.V. and bring us a new one in a box. They said that that was not going to happen because now we have had the T.V. too long. We explained that this has been an issue that has not been resolved from the time that it was delivered. They still refused to bring us another one. We explained that Julie from the corporate office promised us the right remote or switch out the TV. They just laughed and said that she didn't know what she was talking about, and they were not going to bring us another TV.

It has now been 4 months and we have made 12 trips to Aarons to get a remote we live about 20 miles from the store.
I finally got a hold of a lady from the local corporate office and she said that they had a new Manager at that store Ron McPherson and she would have him call me. He did call and promised to look into the matter and call me back the next day so that he could talk to the Regional Manager, Sam Oliver about our problem. I explained every thing to him and how now I was tired of dealing with such unprofessional people and being lied to time after time, when I was keeping up my end of the agreement and I wanted a refund and they could pick up the TV. He said that he understood and would see what he could do and call me back. He never called back. That was 2 weeks ago.
Today I again went to the store on my lunch hour and asked to speak with Ron McPherson, the Manager, surprise, but he was still there. He told me that he had no idea what I was talking about and he didn't remember talking to me, but the Regional Manager was there but at lunch and could I wait. Another Regional leasing Manager was there and asked us to explaine what was going on, so I did. He said that he fully understanded why I wanted a refund and that this problem should have been resolved a long time ago, and he was in agreement with me. I told him that I was on my lunch hour and could I call and arrange a time to meet with Sam Oliver, the main Regional Manager that was at lunch. He said that would be fine and to call back to the store in an hour. I called the store and asked to speak with Mr. Oliver, he listened for a moment and asked me if I wanted to terminate my lease and they would pick up the TV ,I explained that I wanted a refund for the amount I have paid, which is $674.32 and that his colleague agreed with me. He preceded to tell me that if I would read my contract it did not state that the agreement included a remote, and we would not be getting a refund.
Please help!!! Where do I go from here? Do I have a case for small claims court? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....Thank you.

JETX

Suggestions:
1) First, quit trying to do this the 'easy way', it obviously doesn't work. Start right now and write down a COMPLETE history of this situation with names, dates, descriptsions, etc.
2) When you have completed this, send a letter to the store manager detailing exactly what you want (a correct remote, a different television, or a refund). Send a copy to the regional manager and another to the corporate office. Give them a specific period of time (7 days?) to respond to you. Then, if they don't, march down to your local small claims court and file on them for a ful refund.
3) You will probably NOT win a full refund (after all, you did use the television during the period), but you will at least get their attention.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">