• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plumber charged for work he didn't do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anatayw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I had a toilet leak that damaged my ceiling. I called a plumber to come and fix the issue. The total bill was about $4500 including $1400 to replace 12' of drain pipe. The ceiling was wet 2 weeks later, just as I was getting estimates to repair the holes in the ceiling. I called the plumbing company and they sent a second plumber out who had to replace a coupling that the first plumber didn't glue (that was what caused the second leak). While he was looking at my invoice, he noticed the charge to replace the drain pipe had not been replaced...further he told me there was absolutely no way the drain pipe could've been replaced without cutting further holes in the ceiling.

He asked me not to tell the company that he said that but to have a supervisor come and look at the work and invoice. If the supervisor comes out and says that the work WAS done (which I know it wasn't), what is my recourse? Is this a case that's suitable for small claims court or would it be my word against theirs?

Thanks,
Amber

BL

Get a second estimate - look by a different - reputable Plumbing Co.

If they find the faults , have them note it on the estimate .

Then provide the first place with a copy of the estimate , and in writing , give them an opportunity to repair it right .

If they won't have the estimate Co. fix what needs to be , and take the first one to court for you money damages .

anatayw

That's the thing...the drain pipe replacement was unneccessary to begin with. So there is no more work that needs to be completed. He said that needed to be replaced when it didn't, but then charged me even after he didn't do that unneccessary repair.

So I was fraudently charged for work that was not done and never needed to be done to fix the leak.

BL

That's the thing...the drain pipe replacement was unneccessary to begin with. So there is no more work that needs to be completed. He said that needed to be replaced when it didn't, but then charged me even after he didn't do that unneccessary repair.

So I was fraudently charged for work that was not done and never needed to be done to fix the leak.
And again , I tell you if you get nowhere with the Co.'s Higher ups , get a second estimate by a different reputable Co. and have them note it on the estimate /invoice and go from there .

Then you'll have proof the work you were charged for was never done , or needed .

anatayw

Sounds like a plan. I will do that. Appreciate the advice!

And again , I tell you if you get nowhere with the Co.'s Higher ups , get a second estimate by a different reputable Co. and have them note it on the estimate /invoice and go from there .

Then you'll have proof the work you were charged for was never done , or needed .

anatayw

Plumber charged for work he didn't do - Update

I had a supervisor come out and he said that at most, 3 feet was replaced, but he had to discuss it with his 2 supervisors. When I called back to find out what they were going to do, they started talking about adding on some additional charges that they forgot to put on the invoice that would make the original invoice only 'a little high'. That was unacceptable, so I sent an email to the customer care department and VP of Operations on Friday evening. I received a call back within 45 minutes with promises to investigate with a call back by today.

I just received a call back and they agreed to refund over $1700. So all's well. Glad I didn't have to take this issue to court. Thanks for the advice.

BL

I had a supervisor come out and he said that at most, 3 feet was replaced, but he had to discuss it with his 2 supervisors. When I called back to find out what they were going to do, they started talking about adding on some additional charges that they forgot to put on the invoice that would make the original invoice only 'a little high'. That was unacceptable, so I sent an email to the customer care department and VP of Operations on Friday evening. I received a call back within 45 minutes with promises to investigate with a call back by today.

I just received a call back and they agreed to refund over $1700. So all's well. Glad I didn't have to take this issue to court. Thanks for the advice.
Bravo for you being aggressively assertive , and it paid off .

Those jerk supervisors trying to pull a fast one on you , shame on them .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">