• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plus Attorney Fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boggledmind

What is the name of your state?OHIO

I have a check made out to me and my ex-wife that she refuses to sign. She is due none of the money (escrow from original mortgage) which is easily proved. The check is for $650. When she first refused, I went to my attorney who charged me $200 for the meeting and letter to ex's lawyer. She still refuses to sign.

If I take her to small claims to either force her to sign or for the cash, can I also sue for the $200 I paid to attorney trying to get her to sign?

JETX

boggledmind said:
If I take her to small claims to either force her to sign or for the cash, can I also sue for the $200 I paid to attorney trying to get her to sign?
Can't happen....
Why?? Small claims court won't hear your case since they are for MONEY issues only.
And no, you can't charge her for YOUR attorney fees, since she is not a party to the cause of action.
BTW, you need to find another attorney. The 'normal' fees for a simple letter shouldn't be more than $50 to $75.

Your only recourse is:
1) To try to get another check issued SOLELY in your name (give them a copy of the WRITTEN agreement where she released any claim to the funds), or
2) Try to negotiate a 'signature' from her. Very likely it is going to cost you $$ to get her to sign.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">