• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police will not allow me to report car stolen, After releasing truck to wrong person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msladya

My debate

My debate is not rather i committed a crime or not. I also have stated i fully agree it is a civil matter. I will be filing a civil suit there is no doubt on that fact. I guess now my only debate is rather i go file it on my own or should i go to my nlso and seek legal advice before i file it.

CdwJava

It will be a small claims court matter, therefore you will not be permitted to be represented by legal counsel. This will be a do-it-yourself affair.

msladya

Your Right

That is exactly what was told to me by NLSO. It would be small claims and therefore I could not have representation. But they also advised me they have no reason to believe I committed fraud. I had every right to file the registration papers and I did right by going to the seller and having him sign the bill of sale. However I am still on the hook for the parking violations that I received past due notices on. It was also said to me that filling out a release of liability to remove my name is strongly advised against. For 1. It means nothing in the state of California. It has no bearing on transfer of ownership.

For 2 I cannot truthfully fill it out as sold to my friend because I did not sale it and I can not put gift because I did not gift it. If something major were to happen and he decided he did not want to be held liable all he has to do is say I never bought it from her and she never gave it to me. Which would not go against any statement he has already made. So off to small claims court I go. I was also able to get verification that even the day prior to me taking the vehicle my friend went and requested a new registration stating the one he had was mis placed. never once submitted a application to transfer ownership and because the day I got it registered he was present and with me and never made any objection or admission that he in fact had the title and it was not lost shows I was not trying to be sneaky or committ any type of fraud as previously said in prior post.

Thank you to all for your input, Guess now all that is left is to see what a judge says

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">