• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possesions left at residence.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StupidMom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

One year ago I allowed my oldest son's girlfriend to live with us while he was in jail. I asked her to pay no rent, bills or groceries. I was supposedly getting her out of an abusive situation with her mother.
She used my car without helping pay for insurance. She even stayed out all night twice with it and only called once and was upset because I was angry she had my car.
She didn't help out around the house, with cooking, cleaning etc....4 months ago she bought herself a brand new car. She never once offered it to me to run errands or anything. yet she had no problem asking me for gas money when I needed to go to the store or anywhere else.
2 months ago I kicked her out. My family was moving over 75 miles away and I had no desire to take her or her things with us. She moved the majority of her things out of the house. Now she just has odds and ends in boxes and bags remaining in our storage area. Nothing of any monetary value at all. The house is ours until the end of this month however we have already moved our things out. She is threatening me to go to court and sue me for her things which she believes I am withhodling on purpose. The day she moved out our DVD player went missing as well as some DVD's and our VCR.
A neighbor had given us a washing machine and before we moved it to our new residence we asked the neighbor again if the washer was ours or the girlfriends. The neighbor said it was ours to take. The girlfriend is filing chares of theft for the washing machine, she assumed was hers. When we moved into this residence I trusted this girl enough to hand her 75.00 to go and get the water turned on. Not realizing that she would put the bill in her name. The day after I asked her to leave, she went to the city and had our water turned off, there was no bill pending at the time. She recived the refund of the 75.00 deposit and has yet to return it to me. Not to mention that I had to rush out the next morning and post ANOTHER 75.00 deposit to get the water turned back on
Heres the thing, this house has been unlocked for the past 5 weeks,and I have never told her that she COULD NOT go and get her things, so there has been nothing stopping her from going to get her things.
She has accused us of stealing her mail.....yet she didnt bother to forward it. She has called my cell phone several times and demanded that I come let her in the house immediatly for her things, she has harrassed my mother at her home by calling and leaving rude messages on her voice mail.
After that long winded explaination, I am curious as to what extent she can sue us in small claims court. And what I may be able to counter sue her for if anything

StupidMom

Happy Trails

StupidMom said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

One year ago I allowed my oldest son's girlfriend to live with us while he was in jail. I asked her to pay no rent, bills or groceries. I was supposedly getting her out of an abusive situation with her mother.
She used my car without helping pay for insurance. She even stayed out all night twice with it and only called once and was upset because I was angry she had my car.
She didn't help out around the house, with cooking, cleaning etc....4 months ago she bought herself a brand new car. She never once offered it to me to run errands or anything. yet she had no problem asking me for gas money when I needed to go to the store or anywhere else.
2 months ago I kicked her out. My family was moving over 75 miles away and I had no desire to take her or her things with us. She moved the majority of her things out of the house. Now she just has odds and ends in boxes and bags remaining in our storage area. Nothing of any monetary value at all. The house is ours until the end of this month however we have already moved our things out. She is threatening me to go to court and sue me for her things which she believes I am withhodling on purpose. The day she moved out our DVD player went missing as well as some DVD's and our VCR.
A neighbor had given us a washing machine and before we moved it to our new residence we asked the neighbor again if the washer was ours or the girlfriends. The neighbor said it was ours to take. The girlfriend is filing chares of theft for the washing machine, she assumed was hers. When we moved into this residence I trusted this girl enough to hand her 75.00 to go and get the water turned on. Not realizing that she would put the bill in her name. The day after I asked her to leave, she went to the city and had our water turned off, there was no bill pending at the time. She recived the refund of the 75.00 deposit and has yet to return it to me. Not to mention that I had to rush out the next morning and post ANOTHER 75.00 deposit to get the water turned back on
Heres the thing, this house has been unlocked for the past 5 weeks,and I have never told her that she COULD NOT go and get her things, so there has been nothing stopping her from going to get her things.
She has accused us of stealing her mail.....yet she didnt bother to forward it. She has called my cell phone several times and demanded that I come let her in the house immediatly for her things, she has harrassed my mother at her home by calling and leaving rude messages on her voice mail.
After that long winded explaination, I am curious as to what extent she can sue us in small claims court. And what I may be able to counter sue her for if anything

StupidMom
Why would you leave her things in an unlocked house? If her possessions get stolen, who do you think the judge is going to hold accountable.

Since you don't have any proof it was her that took your things, you can't win anything for that.

You had no agreement of her paying anything why she lived there, so you can't win anything for that.

You handed her $75, assuming you had no agreement she would pay it back, you can't win that.

She would have the burden of proving she owned the washing machine and could sue for the value of the WM at the time you took it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">