• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possibility of lawsuit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandyclaus

Hi all,
I'm not sure if this is in the right place or not.
A couple years ago, "Bob" fronted me a small amount of money so I could become an "associate" of the company he worked for, thus covering my "new associate fee" and allowing me to make money through this company by making telemarketing calls for him. Due to changing circumstances, I was unable to put the amount of time/effort I originally thought into making these calls. I updated Bob throughout this process, and ultimately wrote him saying that, by a specific date, I would either reimburse his investment in me or would begin to put the appropriate amount of time/effort into making these calls. However, due to the same circumstances, I was unable to do either of these things, and was never confronted by Bob about the matter.

Now, about two years later, I have the means to reimburse Bob. I would like to do so, but I want to make sure there aren't any legal considerations I should make first. Might Bob have a decent case to sue me if I offer to pay him back? Despite the fact that I would like to pay him back, am I legally better off just leaving it alone? I know nothing about this.

Thanks a lot!
First and foremost, US LAW ONLY.

That being said, you put your intentions, IN WRITING, to either pay back the investment amount or make the appropriate efforts to perform the job for which the investment was paid on your behalf. Since you chose to do neither, you owe the money - PERIOD - and it appears Bob may have enough evidence against you to win a case against you with the letter you wrote him.

The question here is whether or not his demands can be legally enforced due to a potential issue with your state's statute of limitations. Knowing what state this occurred in will help in determining that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">