• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible small claims suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mc7406

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

At the current time, I am at the end of a surrogacy pregnancy in a different state from my home state. I booked a plane ticket for a friend because she said she could watch my daughters for me while I am in the hospital. She assured me that she could be here and has been excited every since I booked the ticket in May. Well, over the past week, I had a feeling she was coming up with different reasons why she couldn't come. Yesterday, she informed me (via facebook message) that she might not be able to make it because she could be starting school, and that if she couldn't make it, she would reimburse me for the ticket. This morning, she wrote me and told me that she now has to have a hysterectomy, so she can't come and asked how much the plane ticket was. I told her the amount and she said she would have it by the 20th. I am scheduled to be induced on the 21st and as everyone should know, the closer you wait until the fly date, the higher the plane ticket will be. Honestly, she is horrible with money and I am always loaning it to her. I told her I would need the money back by Friday since I do have to fly someone else here to watch my daughters. She said she will try. It was a one way ticket and the main purpose for her coming down was to watch my daughters (she was going to get paid for her time) and to also help me back, so now, I am scrambling trying to find someone else to watch them, might have to pay more for a plane ticket, and possibly will have drive back to my home state (11 hours away) with two toddlers and after giving birth. She has caused me so much stress so close to my due date that I honestly don't know what to do. I hate she waited until the last minute when she was just excited on Friday saying she can't wait to come. So if she doesn't pay me back, how can I pursue this in court? I have all of the messages saying she will pay me back, but what about the emotional part of it or if I have to buy another plane ticket? Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sorry if I am all over the place. Feel free to ask any questions if this is confusing.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

At the current time, I am at the end of a surrogacy pregnancy in a different state from my home state. I booked a plane ticket for a friend because she said she could watch my daughters for me while I am in the hospital. She assured me that she could be here and has been excited every since I booked the ticket in May. Well, over the past week, I had a feeling she was coming up with different reasons why she couldn't come. Yesterday, she informed me (via facebook message) that she might not be able to make it because she could be starting school, and that if she couldn't make it, she would reimburse me for the ticket. This morning, she wrote me and told me that she now has to have a hysterectomy, so she can't come and asked how much the plane ticket was. I told her the amount and she said she would have it by the 20th. I am scheduled to be induced on the 21st and as everyone should know, the closer you wait until the fly date, the higher the plane ticket will be. Honestly, she is horrible with money and I am always loaning it to her. I told her I would need the money back by Friday since I do have to fly someone else here to watch my daughters. She said she will try. It was a one way ticket and the main purpose for her coming down was to watch my daughters (she was going to get paid for her time) and to also help me back, so now, I am scrambling trying to find someone else to watch them, might have to pay more for a plane ticket, and possibly will have drive back to my home state (11 hours away) with two toddlers and after giving birth. She has caused me so much stress so close to my due date that I honestly don't know what to do. I hate she waited until the last minute when she was just excited on Friday saying she can't wait to come. So if she doesn't pay me back, how can I pursue this in court? I have all of the messages saying she will pay me back, but what about the emotional part of it or if I have to buy another plane ticket? Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sorry if I am all over the place. Feel free to ask any questions if this is confusing.
You can sue her in small claims court for the cost of the ticket you lost. Nothing else.

tranquility

I'm not even sure of the plane ticket as damages. What is this, a tort or a breach of contract? What was the deal? What was the harm?

If I say I'll do you a favor and you rely on that and I don't follow through, can the gift be enforced?

The OP could try to sue the friend, but she would have to go to the friend's state to do so. I don't think this is going to be worth anyone's time.

Proserpina

I'm not even sure of the plane ticket as damages. What is this, a tort or a breach of contract? What was the deal? What was the harm?

If I say I'll do you a favor and you rely on that and I don't follow through, can the gift be enforced?

The OP could try to sue the friend, but she would have to go to the friend's state to do so. I don't think this is going to be worth anyone's time.

I'm with you, tranq.

I'm not even convinced the friend legally "owed" anything at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">