• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post Judgement - Vehicle Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bls8195

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I went to a post judgement discovery hearing and brought all paperwork I was suspose to, my old landlord now is going after 1 of my vehicles which I have 2, both in mine and my dads name. I know 1 is exempt, can he still go after either one with my dads name on them also. Also can he choose which vehicle to go after, or is it up to me or doesnt matter. What happens if he puts a lein on it, is it forced to be sold or what?

thanks in advance.

If the other vehicle is entirely in your dad's name and your landlord only has a cause of action against you, than your landlord can't go after the second car at all. You are only liable for your own debts and only your property can be seized to pay for your debts, not the assets of others. The only exception is if your dad has somehow also been joined in the lawsuit or if he has assumed part of your debt.

bls8195

Both vehicles are in both our names, and he is not part of the lawsuit. I do live with my gf for a year and a half, does the 2 people per household for 2 cars thing apply or no because we are not married?

Also, what happens if they are financed with a bank both vehicles and are upside down on them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">