• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posted bail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

signdesigner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada
I was staying with my best friend (her boyfriend) stays with her too. He was arrested (Sunday Dec 14) for an outstanding warrent and she did not have the money to bail him out. I am unemployed but had just received my first unemployment check and was looking for an apartment. Since I had enough to bail him out ( and I was sure he would pay it back quickly as he makes about 47.50 an hour) I offered to bail him out but told her I needed the money back by Monday as I had an appt to rent an apt. No problem.
I bail him out and he gives me a check??? So I deposited the check and wrote my new apt checks for deposits and rent. Well his check bounced. I have overdraft protection so my checks cleared by with a fee!! So for the last 3 weeks I have had to beg him repeatedly that I needed my money. Now my rent is due again and there is no way I can pay him without that money. The money I have received has gone to pay my overdraft so now I don't have the money I would have had to pay rent.
Today he called me and told me "f.... you c... if you don't leave me alone I am going to come over there and beat the **** out of you!!" The he texts me again and says "You will never get your money bi....!" Oh my God what is this guys problem?! Stupid me for being nice once again.
My question - I can rescend his bail and get my money back but it will cost me $450 to send the bounty hunter out to pick him up and put him back in jail. I am going to file for a protection order on Monday but that does not help me for the weekend. I am afraid he will hurt me. I realize that no matter what I probably won't get my money now. Can I sue him after I rescend the bail or should I just let the bail go and sue him for that and damages. If I were to show up in court on his court date and tell the judge what he has done will that do me any good?
This man is in the union and makes a lot of money.
Help - unemployed and on verge of being homeless again at the hands of a man.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

dcatz

My advice: Get your TRO, if you feel that you need it. Talk to the DA about making that a permanent injunction. Also talk to the DA about making restitution a condition of any sentencing. (1) You don’t want to get into civil litigation with an individual against whom you need a restraining order, (2) it’s not likely that you could recover, if you did get a judgment because you’re not familiar with enforcement and there’s not enough involved to justify bringing a third-part in and (3) court-supervised restitution is a better, safer solution, if it will be imposed. Otherwise, chalk it up to a good deed gone wrong and let it go.

You didn’t explain what the warrant was for and you don’t need to, but this may be an individual with whom you want to limit any form of direct contact as much as possible. You’d be the best judge of that.

If all else fails, yes, you could sue for consequential damages. It doesn’t sound like a good idea.

signdesigner

posted bail

Thank you very much for your information. I feel dumb here but would you please tell me what a TRO is. Also how does one find out who the DA is assigned to his case. I know his court date is this Tuesday.
Thanks once again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">