• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power Surge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inasnap1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Va The reason for this help is because my local power company supplies my home with an unbelievable number of power surges, in the past 6 months I claimed 3 on my homeowners insurance. All of my neighbors have told me to quit claiming that you are allowed 3 claims in 5 years or you may lose your policy and all that info is shared with other insurance company's. On july 14 at 1:30 am my home received a significant power surge and outage. Later during the day an employee from DOM showed up at my home I explained what happened there was a lightning strike at about 6:30pm on the 13 of july and I lost 1 power strip, at 1:30 am on the 14 ( I was up at the time ) there was a major surge lights got bright fan speed up and it ended with an outage. The employee checked my service me and my son watched ,He asked again what happened I repeated the events. He returned to his truck and made a phone call , he came back and explained to us they (he said "we")were changing an underground transformer at 1:30 am and gave me the phone # to their claims desk , while we were in my garage I showed him that 7 light fixtures had been blown he told me to make sure I claimed every thing effected by the outage. Of course the guy at the claims desk kept me waiting for a month " I'm talking to the person in the morning " on and on and on for a month, Then the day after I emailed a complaint with their customer service about this he left a message saying that a tree caused it. I went to the local DOM office and asked to talk to someone about it , I got a phone # to call I gave him the work request # and he also lied about it saying that they were patrolling ?(at 1:30 am 6 hours after a thunder storm?) the area and found this tree that caused this problem I have asked both of these persons for the persons name that responded to my home ,They won't give it to me. I asked the the second person for the physical location of the tree also ,no response yet. I also recorded the phone call to the second person ( no I did not tell him) he said I tell these guys not to tell us anything and that they did not change any transformer at that time. Can I take the power company to small claims court , Can I make the employee that responded show up in court. I lost $2833 in damages. Also when I took my PC to get it repaired the people at the store asked what is going on there(my area) that their store was full of power surge hit PC's from my area , the same power surge.
Thanks for your advice Daniel Cross

Hot Topic

Other than warning you that you may lose your insurancy policy if you keep reporting power surges, what have your neighbors said about them? Are they commiserating with you? If they are, what steps have they taken to find a solution? Have they called? If so, what has the response been?

BL

Isn't there an agency listed on your utility bills , that regulates this utility , and you can complain to ?

I would also call your local Office of Attorney General to file a complaint , if the utility Co. will not compensate for your losses ?

inasnap1

Quote from State Corporation Commission

:mad:This is a copy from SCC page I have file a complaint. Thanks Daniel Cross

What do I do if I have damage claim against a utility? The Commission does not adjudicate damage claims. Damage claims need to be filed directly with the utility. If you are unhappy with the decision of the company, you may pursue options available through the regular court system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">