• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-Tenant Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jasonmeyers

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I have a rental property. The tenants that wanted to move in signed all of my papers (informal contracts) and waited for the first of the month to tell me that they were not going to be able to afford the rent (excuse). They get goverment checks (vetran, disability & ssi), so they have a stable income. Although the contract signed is for a period of 1 year, i am only interested in collecting for the lost month until i can find a new tenant for the next, as no one will move in after the first & pay for the whole month. Do i have any kind of recourse, can they garnish their goverment checks, or am i left without a tenant for a month (after i went through extra expense to get this ready for them (as they requested)).
Thanks,
Jason Meyers

BL

The tenants that wanted to move in signed all of my papers (informal contracts) [ quote ]

If their income is Gov. Cks. I doubt even if you get a Judgment you will collect a dime. Those cks. can-not be garnished.

I have heard of bank accounts being frozen, but if they are direct deposit from the gov. it would be off limits as well.

You may find a tenant and pro rate the month. You would be wise to draw up a formal contract .

I suggest you Find your local Housing authority for landlord/tenant issues and responsibilities. It would be of value to you on how to manage your rental Property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">