• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Preditory University and Federal Loans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JennyF0x

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I have been enrolled in an online University for 3 weeks and did not want to continue the course because the loans would be too outrageous. After getting the results for my financial aid 3 weeks into the course I called and canceled my loans and grants and withdrew from the college. After speaking with them they informed me that I would still have to pay for the classes. How would they be able to charge me for classes I did not complete and are non-transferable? I tried to contact my loan provider and they said since I signed to promissory note I will have to pay them back. This is understandable, but the facts are that I cannot. The university has charged me $2740.00 for 11 credits 5 of them are on a course I have not even started. They did not use my grant money to try and pay these off just the loans which added up to be $3152.00. I looked through the information about dropping classes and it had a chart of how long the classes were and how much you would be charged if I were to drop the class and any given time. There was no way I could have gotten the results from financial aid and cancel my classes without having to pay for them. THIS IS CRIMINAL!! The university will no longer accept my phone calls!!! There is nothing the loan company can do either. I WILL NOT PAY $2740.00 TO A PREDITORY UNIVERISTY!!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You will need to pay the amount you obligated yourself too - even if you stomp your feet and hold your breath.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I have been enrolled in an online University for 3 weeks and did not want to continue the course because the loans would be too outrageous. After getting the results for my financial aid 3 weeks into the course I called and canceled my loans and grants and withdrew from the college. After speaking with them they informed me that I would still have to pay for the classes. How would they be able to charge me for classes I did not complete and are non-transferable? I tried to contact my loan provider and they said since I signed to promissory note I will have to pay them back. This is understandable, but the facts are that I cannot. The university has charged me $2740.00 for 11 credits 5 of them are on a course I have not even started. They did not use my grant money to try and pay these off just the loans which added up to be $3152.00. I looked through the information about dropping classes and it had a chart of how long the classes were and how much you would be charged if I were to drop the class and any given time. There was no way I could have gotten the results from financial aid and cancel my classes without having to pay for them. THIS IS CRIMINAL!! The university will no longer accept my phone calls!!! There is nothing the loan company can do either. I WILL NOT PAY $2740.00 TO A PREDITORY UNIVERISTY!!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
This will be an expensive lesson for you to learn. The next time you decide to enroll yourself in school you will have already done this type of research. Since you decided to do things backwards, it will cost you money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">