• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prenatal care expenses of a minor OHIO

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

april12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

My daughter is 17. Her 17 year old boyfriend & his parents said that he will pay for 1/2 of the prenatal expenses.

She goes into premature labor at 19 weeks pregnant & the beautiful baby is born (without a heartbeat). After she is released from the hospital, we all go to the Funeral Home to make preparations, but I sign for everything. Everyone is listed in the obituary & the baby is given his last name also. Afterward, I get a text from her boyfriends mom that says, "Let me know how much the total bill is because (daughter's boyfriend) will pay you out of his paychecks plus I told him I would sell all his baby stuff he bought and he can pay with that money too."

Now, they are refusing to pay for anything. I'm assuming that there's really nothing I can do since their was never a DNA test or birth certificate, but I thought I would ask anyway...

1. Can I be reimbursed for ANY of the prenatal care expenses, and from whom?

2. Can I be reimbursed for ANY of the funeral/burial expenses, and from whom?

Last edited:

Just Blue

My daughter is 17. Her 17 year old boyfriend & his parents said that he will pay for 1/2 of the prenatal expenses.

She goes into premature labor at 19 weeks pregnant & the beautiful baby is born (without a heartbeat). After she is released from the hospital, we all go to the Funeral Home to make preparations, but I sign for everything. Everyone is listed in the obituary & the baby is given his last name also. Afterward, I get a text from her boyfriends mom that says, "Let me know how much the total bill is because (daughter's boyfriend) will pay you out of his paychecks plus I told him I would sell all his baby stuff he bought and he can pay with that money too."

Now, they are refusing to pay for anything. I'm assuming that there's really nothing I can do since their was never a DNA test or birth certificate, but I thought I would ask anyway...

I am so sorry for your daughters loss. :(

Had a DNA test been done to legally clarify paternity?

Just Blue

No DNA test had been done. But if he were to admit the baby is his, would he or his parents still be responsible?
I am going to send this thread to a Ohio Attorney that will be better at advising you.

But...IMHO(!!!)...

I do not think a legal stranger will be responsible for these expenses. Although, perhaps, the "agreement" may invoke contractual agreements that may, despite no legal paternity, be enforceable.

Blue

april12

I am going to send this thread to a Ohio Attorney that will be better at advising you.

But...IMHO(!!!)...

I do not think a legal stranger will be responsible for these expenses. Although, perhaps, the "agreement" may invoke contractual agreements that may, despite no legal paternity, be enforceable.

Blue
Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Her boyfriend is a minor. Contract is going to be hard to enforce against a minor. The text from the boyfriend's mom may be able to be used to prove a contract. But she could not obligate a minor to pay things. How much of this is YOUR DAUGHTER responsible for paying? I notice you ask about the alleged father's responsibilities but your daughter has responsibilities as well -- more so than any alleged father.

There had to have been a birth certificate as there was a birth and your daughter did not miscarry per your post. Or did your daughter actually miscarry?

ecmst12

19 weeks is a miscarriage. Stillbirth would be after 20 weeks. I don't think, legally, a birth certificate would be done for this, since the fetus was never viable. Many people wouldn't have a funeral, either, though I completely understand why others might want one.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
19 weeks is a miscarriage. Stillbirth would be after 20 weeks. I don't think, legally, a birth certificate would be done for this, since the fetus was never viable. Many people wouldn't have a funeral, either, though I completely understand why others might want one.
For a miscarriage, the putative father would be highly unlikely to be forced to pay anything.

ecmst12

That makes sense to me, there was no baby to incur expenses on its own behalf, all the bills incurred would be OP's daughter's bills. And no one else is going to have any legal obligation to pay her bills.

I do hope that if you're still allowing your daughter to see this boy, that you get her on birth control right away. She will be fertile again probably sooner than she thinks.

W

Willlyjo

I am so sorry for your daughters loss. :(

Had a DNA test been done to legally clarify paternity?
Even if a DNA had been performed on the boyfriend showing he would have been the father, he still would not have been liable for any bills incurred by his girlfriend. He was a minor, which would make it hard to hold him to any contract. Ohio Gal and ecmst12's posts would support this--especially since it appears the girlfriend suffered a 'miscarriage'!

No need to send the thread to an Attorney :rolleyes:! It wouldn't get to the point in which he'd advise the OP. He'd probably ignore it. :rolleyes:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Even if a DNA had been performed on the boyfriend showing he would have been the father, he still would not have been liable for any bills incurred by his girlfriend. He was a minor, which would make it hard to hold him to any contract. Ohio Gal and ecmst12's posts would support this--especially since it appears the girlfriend suffered a 'miscarriage'!

No need to send the thread to an Attorney :rolleyes:! It wouldn't get to the point in which he'd advise the OP. He'd probably ignore it. :rolleyes:
What do you think OG does for a living? :cool:

Just Blue

wiltjo...do you read? Or just shoot blanks from the ...hip?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

W

Willlyjo

wiltjo...do you read? Or just shoot blanks from the ...hip?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm just responding to the inept way in which you posted. I didn't pick up on the fact Ohio Gal is who you were referring to. Why would you need to send the thread to her? Why not simply message her and point her to the thread? Your post was vague and open to misinterpretation. :rolleyes:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Willlyjo - psst;

OG is the attorney to whom BM sent the thread.

Try to keep up, huh?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">