• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

prepayments/refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

klbegley

What is the name of your state? Kentucky
There was an ad placed in our area newspaper asking for basketball players for a AAU team for boys. I called the coach and spoke to him about the team and inquired as to how it would work. He mentioned a parent meeting that was coming up, but since we were not certain if this was something we wanted to do at this time, we did not attend, nor did we commit. The coach called my home a week or so later and wanted to know if my son would play for his team. I asked about cost and we were to pay for the uniform and to pre-pay for tournament fees of $175.00. This was to be made payable to a parent who was acting as treasurer.

Only 4 tournaments into our season, it was a mutual decision that we pull out from the team. He asked for my son's uniform back, which we paid for. We, in turn, asked for a pro-rated refund and partial refund on the uniform since he asked for it back.

I was told that they had 2 other players quit and they did not get a refund, as a letter was given to the parents at the parent meeting about "no refunds". I stated we did not attend that meeting, that we, in fact, did not join the team until after the meeting took place, after the coach called us to play for him.

I have never been told or provided anything stating that we could not get our money back.

I would like to take him to small claims court to get a partial refund back, if there is enough proof to do so. Please advise?

Thank you,

K Begley

JETX

"I would like to take him to small claims court to get a partial refund back, if there is enough proof to do so. Please advise?"
*** Did you in fact return the uniform that you paid for?? If so, you should be able to get either that money refunded or the uniform returned since it was your property anyway. As to a refund for the program costs, that would probably depend on the facts of the 'resignation' and their claim that you were aware of a 'no refund' policy and whether that policy was 'fair and equitable. The success of that claim can only be determined by the court at the time of presentation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">