• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Preschool not refunding money, considering small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clean Sanchez

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I wasn't sure where to post this, but since someone I know suggested we try the smalls claims court approach I am posting here.

We have a 3-year old daughter who started preschool in September. After two weeks, her teacher suggested that we remove her from school because of her health and potty training problems. She has severe eczema and when nervous starts to scratch and doesn't play well with other kids...and has relapsed on her potty training twice in the last few months.

We agreed that maybe preschool wasn't right for her yet, so we wrote a letter informing the preschool of our decision to remove our daughter based on her teacher's recommendation. She did not attend school in October, but the preschool is refusing to refund the October tuition which we were required to pay in early September.

Their explanation is that we have to notify them 30 days prior to removing our child from class in order to get a full refund. We said we only removed her because THEIR OWN TEACHER recommended it. In addition, how can anyone get their money back if you're required to pay for tuition over a month beforehand??:mad:

In any case, they won't refund the $200 that we paid for October, despite the fact that our child hasn't attended this month. (In fact, our daughter was evaluated by Child Find and they are recommending she go to speech and socialization therapy, which is likely part of the cause of her potty training relapse along with the eczema...):(

dcatz

If you're asking if you have a valid case for Small Claims and a defense to enforcement of the contract, I think that you do based on the teacher's recommendation. File your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">